727 rebuild opinions/thoughts welcome

-

lee g

Reaction score
I am looking at rebuilding my 727 transmission. This will be my first and I have already searched the forum for suggestions. I purchased a book and have watched the rebuild series on YouTube. Before I give off into a rebuild any tips, tricks, or suggestions. I have some snap ring pliers, basic hand tools, and a slide hammer. Already have my shift kit and new torque converter.

I think doing it yourself is great. You end up knowing everything that was done because you did it yourself. I did my 904 on a folding table in my basement garage. It isn't hard at all, especially if you follow the step by step instructions in the FSM. The FSM will tell you what to do and in what order. You will need some specialized tools you didn't mention like a dial indicator, caliper (digital is cheap and easy), and micrometer. You also need something to compress the springs in the clutches. I used C clamps but tools are cheap on Amazon for a one time use. Be prepared to order stuff in the middle of your build...things like thrust washers or different steel plates, etc. Fatsco Transmission Parts is a great source for Torqueflite. So is Torqueflite Patty (just Google search his name).
Get a good quality kit with all the gaskets and clutches and go to it. I had fun and learned a ton about the inner workings of a Torqueflite. Mine performs perfectly and cost near nothing to do myself versus having a shop build it for me.

I never use any measuring devices. I install the drums without clutches and the pump minus the gasket and o-ring; without installing the front band. I pull in and out on the input shaft and guess at the clearance. Then I install thrust washers to get to about .020. I install a thick washer between the drums and I do not use steel shims between the shafts. Sometimes I use two thin washers at the front. Barely feeling any endplay in a cold case (without the pump gasket) is what I'm looking for. I switch snap rings and sometimes even fibers to get the clearance I want in the clutch packs. I see all kinds of huge clearances like .100" posted but I always make mine about half that; no matter how many frictions.

I rebuilt my sb 727 in 2013 out of two different transmissions and it lasted 5yrs drag racing and a whole bunch of street driving, i pulled the sb combo and went big block and im going to use the sb 727 for spare parts.one thing i would suggest is get the upgraded servo.

TSR racing.com makes the parts and upgrades . I suggest that you get a bolt in overrunning clutch if you value your body parts .

A stock 727 is good for 500 hp. A really savvy trans dude can put together a stout 727 that will last with just a bucket of old used parts and a pan gasket, front seal, pump oring and pump gasket, and it will be a better trans than what 90% of the shops are churning out. "Trans in a Box" is not "Trans in Your Car"; don't get hyped up with sales pitches and end up with just a bill of goods.

-
Back