727 rebuild or no?

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
I bought this transmission a while ago for a build im doing. he had no information on the trans as it came from a shop and it got replaced by a 5 speed. There's some black in the pan but it looks really fresh inside with nice gaskets and seals and a really clean fresh filter. Would you guys throw it in as it is or would you expect it to need a rebuild. Not looking for a set answer just some opinions on what you'd do. pictures are below.

4888CA7F-6C1E-4A6B-959A-564A80ECD407.jpeg

46359F19-71B9-4169-AD45-F6E292F76187.png

FD422263-0BC2-4DBE-A701-828463A58171.jpeg

CBE32B2D-079B-403D-8680-08586EC07726.jpeg

I'm just going to ask. How much effort and time do you want to save by looking into freshning it up at this point. You have it out. Was there any sign of metal in the pan? Does the fluid smell burnt? It looks pretty good. It's a flip of the coin and some work to try it as is.

I'm just going to ask. How much effort and time do you want to save by looking into freshning it up at this point. You have it out. Was there any sign of metal in the pan? Does the fluid smell burnt? It looks pretty good. It's a flip of the coin and some work to try it as is.
there was a little glitter but no chunks or anything. the fluid smelled pretty good. rebuilding the trans isn't an issue i just have a lot on my plate at the moment for the car so adding the time to rebuild it as well is just a set back.

That black mush in the pan is friction material. At least drop out the pump and front drums. I think you'll find burned clutches.

I think I'd add it to the list and when finished. you wouldn't have to worry about it. Good luck on your build.

Rebuild it to the power your engine is making making. Then Mopar on !!!!!

A rebuild kit is about 150 bucks and time. As Cuda Hack said that black stuff is from the disk and is indication a rebuild is in its near future…

I called the Black Mush Transmission Co and they said not to worry about it.....A seal up kit is about $15. Probably don't need rings and piston seals. Just get those black clutches out of there and maybe that front band. Don't even bother taking out the little snap ring on the front of the output shaft; probably just a waste of time and effort; unless the rear servo lever shaft is leaking...and to check the governor; but they're almost always fine.

Everybody wants to "completely rebuild" every trans they take apart. Tranzz aren't like motors tho. Take a motor apart and the cylinders are worn and so is the crank; it needs to come completely apart. Most tranzz have 10% smoked but 90% still like new. Let's not get carried away with every trans that needs to come apart. "Going cvompletely thru it" is for people who don't know any better.

-
Back