727 Rebuild Questions

-

70runner

Reaction score
727 going behind a 440-6 (70RR), mostly stock with alum heads, voodoo 60303, SRP pistons, approx 10:1CR, 3.23 suregrip, 4 pinion planetaries, deep pan, 3.8 kickdown, with transgo TF-2 kit.

Rear clutch (4 clutch plates) dry clearance is .030" with .088" ring. Chrysler says .025-.045". Munroe says to keep clearance near low side of spec, so it seems I'm OK here.

1. Front clutch (4 clutch plates) dry clearance with .088" ring is .102". Chrysler says .060-.123", but I've read where many suggest tighter tolerance. Guess I could go with the .106" ring and drop the clearance to about .084". Would this be worthwhile or am I OK? Would adding an additional plate using thinner clutch plates be a worthwhile investment?

2. Recommended brand of clutch plates? I'm using Borg Warner from a rebuild kit, but noticed a small portion of clutch material peeled away from one plate (front clutch).

3. After soaking the clutch plates, how long to install before they should be soaked again...that is, what is the shelf life of a rebuilt 727?

.030" is a little tighter than I prefer for the rear clutch cause I've had them want to pull in neutral a little when that tight. I prefer .035"~.040"... Just my preference.

I'd put in the .106 plate in the front clutch to tighten it up some.

Yours is not a high HP build so good quality Borg or Raybestos is usually fine but I wouldn't use the ones you have if they look defective. I wouldn't worry about adding more plates but you can if you want. Just remember to add a little more clearance when using more plates. I shoot for .020 per clutch plate on the front carrier.

I like to soak mine for a few hrs. I've rebuilt torqueflites and not used them for a couple yrs. but I also lube things up real good including spraying all metal parts with a mist of ATF so nothing rusts.

I was hoping you'd weigh in. Thx. I'll use the .106 ring for the front clutch. Will pick up some new clutch plates and soak as you suggest. Not sure about the rear clutch, probably go as is and see if it wanders in neutral.

..........How many springs r u using in the front drum.........use at least 9 in a 1-2-1-2-1-2 arrangement......u need to use both springs in the front servo with a 3.8 arm.........adj front band 2 1/4 turns.......r u setting the pressure regulator for street use or competition........so then ur trans is not an original 6 pac trans............does it have the control load servo.......if it does u need an 66-70 old style servo or u will have bind up going into 3rd gear......make sure u use the cupped restrictor plug for 3rd gear.........kim.....

Kim, I'm using 10 springs. I believe I'm using both springs in the front servo, but will double check. I set the regulator to street. Not an orig 6pak trans. Could you elaborate on the control load servo/restrictor plug?
thx
Rich

-
Back