727 repeated failures

-

dodge29

Reaction score
Trying to help a buddy with a transmission issue, 440 big block early 70's bolted to a 727 transmission in a 68 Cuda, i haent looked at it,
good strong engine on nos, typically street driven, few passes here and there, mostly daily driver keep blowing up torque converters, lasting 70/80 miles, last 2 were high dollar B&M holeshots, cant keep converters in the car, last 2 times it scramble the transmission, trans being rebuilt again, new B&M holeshot sitting on the bench, were afraid to put it back together for the 4th time, readed somewhere issue with alignment or since the assemblies are from the early 70's , possible locking converter type trans, if so, how do i tell, any ideas??? I dont run bigblocks or 727's so my experience is a little narrow....Im a small block, straight drive or 904 car...
thanks
Dodge29

First problem.....B&M holeshots need to be shot.... I will never install one in a customers car. My tranny guys laugh at them.

Cut one open and see how janky they are. Spend the money and get one made for the trans/engine/car. WHo built it?? What clutches/steels? What valve body???

First problem.....B&M holeshots need to be shot.... I will never install one in a customers car. My tranny guys laugh at them.
i think that is what my buddy uses for a door stopper at his shop....

the transmission was built by our tranny guy at the dealership, a drag racer himself, very good tranny guy, what we saw, get on it hard and the converter starts to whine and growl badly, sometime the first time you get on it....
Dodge29

If he's a good tranny guy, then why does he use B&M converters.... A torqueflite is not a difficult trans to build...

car belongs to one of teh sale manager, supplying his own parts.....
thanks
Dodge29

I agree with Steve. B$M may offer some ok stuff for Chevy's but they sure don't have anything impressive when it comes to Mopars. E-bag the new B&M on the shelf and put in a better converter. Ultimate, Coan, PTC, Turbo Action all come to mind as good converters.

Engine to trans alignment can be an issue but it's really rare and I think if it were an alignment problem it'd take out the front pump and/or input shaft bushings before the converter.

...........The most overlooked part of a tranny rebuild is the cooler, when a verter goes south u have 2 change the cooler as u cannot clean it nearly good enough.as u have found out ........u need a verter built 4 nos......eventhough sonny over in the next lane seems 2 doing just fine with his cheapy verter and nos..........bieleve me hes playing with fire..............kim..........

Kimmer hit the nail on the head.....you need a an anti-balooning style converter for NOS...

Did I read using NOS? If so that is why those B&M convertors are tearing up. They can't handle the NOS. I wouldn't run any convertor with NOS that wasn't designed for it. Sure you can get by with a stock motor with a low HP shot of NOS but still are on borrowed time.

Chuck

Words to live by. " NEVER BE AFRAID TO BUY THE BEST, YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED"
I have used Frank Lupo and have never had a converter issue!

...........Thats rite, when u buy a verter, u get what u pay 4............when that cheap 1 lets go u also destroy the trans and cooler......not so cost effective anymore...not 2 mention the down time...kim.......

-
Back