727 seal leak

-

ep41

Reaction score
Still a newbie here. Can anybody help help me with this tranny leak? How do I go about replacing the seal?

tranny leak.jpg

tranny leak2.jpg

Pull the linkage replace the seal. If you can, With trans still in car. Don't think you can, with it in car.

You can but need a big rubber plug for the hole you need to cut in the floor to get to it. Pull linkage and then get an awl and push it into the seal and start tearing it apart. You will be able to get it out in pieces but it will come out. You will have to engineer some tools to pry the casing out. A deepwell socket can be used to put the new one in.

Gotta drop the valve body, pry out the old seal and press the new one in using a bolt/nut combo with a washer the same size as the seal to press it in evenly. A C clamp and washer will press it in, too. Not too bad a job to do even on the ground. Clean up the selector shaft and deburr it or you can nick the new seal. Hope this helps and if you need pics PM me.

I was told there was a tool that would pull and replace the deal once you had the linkage off. Is this true?

I was told there was a tool that would pull and replace the deal once you had the linkage off. Is this true?

I've heard there is but never used one. I generally do it like catsncuda's said. You might look on e-bay for the tool, you find a lot of odd tools there.

BTW: you may know this but in case you don't the name of that seal is the shift shaft seal.

Beware, there is also a seal in the passing gear linkage of the valve body, i seen many shifter shaft seals get replaced and it would still leak from the same area, it will require the valve body removed and the c-clip removed from the throttle pressure shaft (passing gear shaft) and remove the thin washer and you will see the rubber seal in there, its easy to remove and replace and then you can get to the shifter shaft seal too, then you'll have a gauranteed leak free repair.

Beware, there is also a seal in the passing gear linkage of the valve body, i seen many shifter shaft seals get replaced and it would still leak from the same area, it will require the valve body removed and the c-clip removed from the throttle pressure shaft (passing gear shaft) and remove the thin washer and you will see the rubber seal in there, its easy to remove and replace and then you can get to the shifter shaft seal too, then you'll have a gauranteed leak free repair.

That's true but if you look close at the pics in his first post it sure looks like it's the shift shaft seal. The first picture is turned on it's side but it's real clear in it. Just have to turn your head sideways, LOL

Ive got the tool. You can have it. Just pay shipping. It will remove the big seal.
Mine wouldnt clear the tunnel in my 65 valiant so it was a wasted purchase on my part.
The little seal will indeed need the vb to be removed, as that c clip is a pain when under the car

All good advice guys....that seal sure is a pain to replace with the trans in the car....another thing that hasn't been mentioned is to check your valve body stub for excessive wear (flops around) or the seal surface being grooved. Clean it up with some fine sandpaper. Good Luck

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up the shift shaft seal yesterday and it looks nothing like the one currently installed. It is a rubber seal with a metal casing around it. I assume the rounded edge will face "up" when I install it. It looks like the current seal is just rubber and has broken down where you can see it leak from.

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up the shift shaft seal yesterday and it looks nothing like the one currently installed. It is a rubber seal with a metal casing around it. I assume the rounded edge will face "up" when I install it. It looks like the current seal is just rubber and has broken down where you can see it leak from.

All the shift shaft seals are a steel case with rubber in the middle. Like an axle bearing seal, just smaller. The rubber on your's probably tore loose.

-
Back