727 SFI Case Update

-

71Demon528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to Carlisle Chrysler Nationals over the weekend and spoke with Rick Allison and his son Nick Allison from A&A Transmissions. I brought up our conversation in the past about them producing an SFI case. They do plan to produce an SFI case in the future, and they plan to produce this case in Billet aluminum. That will not be cheap to make, or cheap to purchase. The question is, when. Rick is 50-60 transmission builds behind, they are short on employees as is the entire country, and they face a lot of the same struggles as many other businesses after COVID wrecked the economy. Trying to find the time to dedicate to that process is very tough right now. I also questioned them on a 2nd gear launch billet aluminum trans brake valve body. This is also something they are planning on doing. I would assume the valve body will take less time to produce and would arrive quicker than the case, but that is just speculation. They are well aware of the amount of people in the Mopar community that convert to powerglides or TH400s and a big selling point is the SFI case, amongst other things. For all of us 727 guys, lets hang in there and wait til they produce this.

Last edited:
Isn’t it also converter choice as well?
And maybe I am all wet, but as nice as an SFI case would be, I suspect the buyers would still be a very finite group.
lots of serious index/ bracket racers go glide because it’s a 2 speed, not because of any other reason.

I guess it depends on the application and what the persons intentions are. From what I read on another thread on FABO, Dave Smith is able to produce a pump and input shaft for a 727 that accepts a TH400 converter, which is pretty cool. I have read guys saying there are a lack of converter choices for the 727, but I didn't know what they are after. There are many reasons guys go glide especially in bracket racing, and can't blame them. I just know there are a lot of people who don't like the fact they can't get a 727 SFI case, so that is just another reason they convert. I will change my original post, I didn't mean to make it sound like it is the ONLY reason guys change.

I guess it depends on the application and what the persons intentions are. From what I read on another thread on FABO, Dave Smith is able to produce a pump and input shaft for a 727 that accepts a TH400 converter, which is pretty cool. I have read guys saying there are a lack of converter choices for the 727, but I didn't know what they are after. There are many reasons guys go glide especially in bracket racing, and can't blame them. I just know there are a lot of people who don't like the fact they can't get a 727 SFI case, so that is just another reason they convert. I will change my original post, I didn't mean to make it sound like it is the ONLY reason guys change.

no need to change anything. Just asking a question.

Thanks for the update. If still running a Torqueflite means going slow, then I will go slow forever. I guess I'm confused on "convertor choices" too.

It's exciting to see our aftermarket grow. CRT has a billet 2nd gear launch transbrake. I'm kinda surprised A&A doesn't already. Of course any spare time they may have had for r&d may have gone out the window when CRT quit building transmissions. I'm not sure how much of the market CRT held.

Expensive or not, this is the kinda stuff we're lookin for! It's WAY past time, too, considering all you can get with Chevy and even Ford stuff. I hope it continues.

It's exciting to see our aftermarket grow. CRT has a billet 2nd gear launch transbrake. I'm kinda surprised A&A doesn't already. Of course any spare time they may have had for r&d may have gone out the window when CRT quit building transmissions. I'm not sure how much of the market CRT held.
I’m kind of surprised myself they don’t have one already. But being a distributor for them and knowing what they have been battling at their shop makes sense as to why they don’t have one already. and I’d say you hit the nail on the head, with crt not building transmissions anymore, more time is available to develop things such as the billet 2nd gear launch valve body.

Thanks for the update. If still running a Torqueflite means going slow, then I will go slow forever. I guess I'm confused on "convertor choices" too.
Lol I wouldn’t say having a Torqueflite means you’re going slow. Just less popular of a choice in bracket racing and higher powered heads up racing.

Expensive or not, this is the kinda stuff we're lookin for! It's WAY past time, too, considering all you can get with Chevy and even Ford stuff. I hope it continues.
Yes I agree I hope this continues on and we get something in the near future.

A friend asked me about making him a billet 727 case, I've been putting him off for about 6 months now, I will let him know that A&A are talking about doing one.

The question of more converterchoice, my understanding is the GM converter cores are taller than those used in our Chrysler transmissions I believe. That's always been my understanding anyway.

Lol I wouldn’t say having a Torqueflite means you’re going slow. Just less popular of a choice in bracket racing and higher powered heads up racing.

I had a good laugh over this one. Lol.

67F27B48-A2A5-4DF6-BFFD-BCF85B6F25C0.jpeg

-
Back