727 shifter suggestions

-

bobtile

Reaction score
I have a stock shifter in my car now. To say that it is sloppy is an understatement. I lost more than once last year because of missed shifts. Any suggestions on what shifter you guys like?

http://www.precisionperformance.com/home.htm

Best of the best ..

kshiftbig.jpg

I guess they are afraid to have a working price list page. :D

They have a price list. They are actually very reasonable.

I see it.
The one link on the left of the page that says "Price List" doesn't work, and of course that's where I went. :)

I have used the ppp shifter listed above and I currently have a cheetah, also used a pro stick, all worked very nice, ppp and cheetah are the only ones that I have found that will work with a reverse manual valve body with a clean neutral.

I have a B&M quicksilver. It was ok with a manual valve body. I ran into a situation that caused me to switch back to automatic valve body. I had someone pull out in front of me and I needed to get to reverse fast (never going to happen) The turbo action cheetah i've read with some practice you can slam from any gear to reverse or neutral pretty quick.

Is it a track only car?

I have a B&M quicksilver. It was ok with a manual valve body. I ran into a situation that caused me to switch back to automatic valve body. I had someone pull out in front of me and I needed to get to reverse fast (never going to happen) The turbo action cheetah i've read with some practice you can slam from any gear to reverse or neutral pretty quick.

Is it a track only car?
Pretty much dedicating it to the track now. It will still see limited street use.

agreed but if your factory shifter is sloppy it isn't supposed to be that way.

I run a RPVB wit the factory shifter. Can't miss. It hits the detent on each shift and you can push forward and it hits the neutral detent.
I understand its not supposed to be that way but sometimes I go from 1st right into 3rd. Its fine for the street as is , but I would probably need to change it out anyway. I would think these aftermarket shifters are much faster than the stock unit.

Turbo Action Cheetah shifter. I've had one in a couple different cars and haven't had any trouble with them. There a good shifter.

Hurst Pro Stick 2, like the look of that Precision piece, though. My shifter has to fail first, new Cheetah RVMB to sort out. Time, will tell.

I understand its not supposed to be that way but sometimes I go from 1st right into 3rd. Its fine for the street as is , but I would probably need to change it out anyway. I would think these aftermarket shifters are much faster than the stock unit.

Do you have a forward or reverse pattern VB? If you have a reverse pattern and you are going from 1st to 3rd something in your shifter is broken or missing. It's impossible to go from first to third in one shift with a RPVB. It hits the detent and locks. (unless you are holding the button down...... when shifting from first to 2nd which is a no-no. )

I used the Turbo Action SCS for over 20yrs. trouble free. Best shifter on the market. They offer lots of Mopar goodies & great tech support. You won't be sorry going with them. Check out this link:
http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/7857073666

Decent shifter but won't fit in the factory console. The PPP wil.

Do you have a forward or reverse pattern VB? If you have a reverse pattern and you are going from 1st to 3rd something in your shifter is broken or missing. It's impossible to go from first to third in one shift with a RPVB. It hits the detent and locks. (unless you are holding the button down...... when shifting from first to 2nd which is a no-no. )

Decent shifter but won't fit in the factory console. The PPP wil.
Reverse pattern.
What I believe is happening is the shifter detent stops the shifter in second gear? Then you have to push the button to go second to third. I think I'm on the button all the time so there is one less "step" to do. I think that's what is going on anyway.

Reverse pattern.
What I believe is happening is the shifter detent stops the shifter in second gear? Then you have to push the button to go second to third. I think I'm on the button all the time so there is one less "step" to do. I think that's what is going on anyway.

OK! Easy fix. You are going to like this.

When leaving in first push the button and preload 2nd as in pull the shifter far enough so the gate isn't locking you into first.

next to shift second simply pull the shiter back as hard as you'd like WITHOUT pushing the button.

Push the button and pull 3rd.

Enjoy!

OK! Easy fix. You are going to like this.

When leaving in first push the button and preload 2nd as in pull the shifter far enough so the gate isn't locking you into first.

next to shift second simply pull the shiter back as hard as you'd like WITHOUT pushing the button.

Push the button and pull 3rd.

Enjoy!

^^^^^^ Xs2

-
Back