727 tech question.

-

65PlumCrzy

Reaction score
I have a 727 non-lockup with a reverse shift/manual valve body. Also has a TCI 8" converter. Just got the converter back from the shop having it adjusted to 3000 to 3500 stall. Before removing the converter the transmission would stall the motor or at least pull it down 500 to 700rpms when shifting into gear. First thought for me was converter was messed up. The torque converter shop guarantee that the converter is fine. Question I have is, have any of you fellows ever seen this issue before and could it be caused by internal components in the transmission, possibly the valve body? Thanks for your assistance.

That sounds to me like a simple case of not enough initial ignition timing, believe it or not. What is your total mechanical advance, total timing, and initial?

sounds the same to me. most folks are afraid of initial timing. shoot some motors like 20+ degrees to idle correctly. but keep the total at no more than 38 or so for a drag car.

That's something I need to check. Never crossed my mind that timing could cause an issue.

It absolutely can and will cause what you are describing. Try twisting the distributor to advance the timing, re adjust your idle (it will speed up with the advance) and see if it still dies when put in gear. Your total timing without vacuum advance should be 34 to 36 degrees. You may have to shorten the mechanical advance slots in the distributor to allow more initial timing.

d55dave, I can't even answer your questions, lol. I have no clue what the mechanical advance is, total or initial timing is. Need to do some homework and get educated real fast on this. Thanks again.

I do know that there is no vacuum advance on the distributor, plus its a 440 distributor with a spacer

Does it have a really large cam? If so that's a factor in needing more initial timing like the others said. The carb could also be running a little lean at idle

I appreciate the info fellows, once I get it back together and able to crank it back up, I'll check all the timing issues and cross my fingers that the problem shows itself. Thanks again for the input.

-
Back