727 throttle pressure adjustment

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Thanks to all whom can help. I am trying to set my throttle pressure for the kick down function on my trans. Should I pull the lever on the trans all the way forward and wide open the throttle and lock them together? This way the lever moves with the throttle? Thanks Tod

you want to open the throttle all the way and move the kickdown rod all the way back and lock it down. the kickdown lever on the trans needs to be pushed backwards to increase the pressure.

Tod somethings screwed up with your linkage if the trans. lever goes forward when you press the throttle down. It should go backwards.

Hello All !! Sorry, I don't have any help, but I also am in need of some thoughts on the kickdown adjustment. No offence and no intention of hijacking the thread, I just don't think a new thread is needed. My question is, What is the proper adjustment of the thottle lever throw with the Lokar cable ? I have searched the forums and haven't seen this particular issue discussed. My throttle lever at the tranny is adjusted so that the throttle lever is all the way to the rear at WOT. (Lokar recomended adjustment) My concern is that the lever does not return all the way to the idle position (all the way forward) unless the cable is unhooked from the lever. I installed a light spring to help return the lever to the idile postion as some of the other cable kits do but its the cable adjustment that does not allow the full return to the idle position. About a 1/4 inch of forward travel is left with the cable attached. Is the proper adjustment a ballance between forward and back ? Or is it fine the way it is ? Thanks to all that have an idea !!!!

bkd.jpg

I have the same or similar book on my '68. I read it to be the factory says to adjust the travel so the lever is at the idle position then adjust the linkage for the proper shift points. However, the Lokar cable instructions (and many others in the forums) state the lever should be at full rear at WOT when using a cable. Both adjusments are not posible with the cable. its one or the other or a "balance" point between the two. Thanks !!

I have the same or similar book on my '68. I read it to be the factory says to adjust the travel so the lever is at the idle position then adjust the linkage for the proper shift points. However, the Lokar cable instructions (and many others in the forums) state the lever should be at full rear at WOT when using a cable. Both adjusments are not posible with the cable. its one or the other or a "balance" point between the two. Thanks !!

As a starting point I always adjust the linkage or cable whichever your using for full travel at WOT then test drive the car. If it hangs in gears too long I loosen it up a little at a time until it shifts at the correct speeds and downshifts correctly. Most of the time adjusting it at full travel at WOT works fine without any further adjustment. As far as the Lokar cable not returning as long as it's shifting at the correct speeds and the cable doesn't buckle up you should be fine. If the cable does buckle that'll shorten it's life allot. Can you put a return spring at the carb end of the cable to get it to pull back?

Whats happening is the lever, when disconnected from the cable, that is adjusted to WOT, will continue approx. 1/4 inch to the idle position. I did put a spring to be sure the lever returned to its furthest travel to idle. I belive I will try the adjusment as to shift speed. It seems to hold second until the the throttle is let up, the shifts. Thanks !!

Ok. I'd back off the adjustment a little at a time until it shifts without letting off the throttle. If I'm picturing it right I believe that'll also let the throttle lever go farther back towards idle.

I want to get WOT without stretching a cable (aftermarket) or binding any linkage. At the same time I want to get passing gear just before I get carpet. I'll set the linkage by the book when installing a trans but I always fine tune to suit myself.
Gotta love Fords self adjusting cable sheath mount. One "better idea" that really was. LOL

Sounds like you need the carb end of the cable to mount closer to the throttle shaft, mount farther from the throttle lever pivot shaft, a longer cable, or a shorter sleeve. Is this mounting to a stock carb and linkage?

General rules for the kickdown.... When the throttle is at rest, the lever on the trans should be all the way forward. Also, when the throttle is at WOT, the lever on the trans should be all the way back. The two should move simaltaneously. The spring on the top end should be tight enough to hold the linkage against the pin on the carb lever. The spring should be loose enough to allow the throttle to close even if the linkage jams.

Other than that, there is an adjustment on the valvebody which takes a special tool to set. I do not have the measurement handy, nor do I have a tool.

Kickdown location relative to the pedal position is determined by ground speed, engine speed and load. You should not, nor can you easily, set it to occur at a particular pedal position. If you can, its pure luck.

I'm also having a simlar problem, I have the lokar setup, I have the Kickdown adjust so that when I'm at WOT the lever is all the way back, and at no throttle the lever is idle. But while I'm driving i'm getting a "Whine" coming form the transmission till it shifts, and at low rpm's the whine is gone. Any ideas? is my kick down setup wrong?
and it seems to not want to shift till im higher in the Rpms

I'm also having a simlar problem, I have the lokar setup, I have the Kickdown adjust so that when I'm at WOT the lever is all the way back, and at no throttle the lever is idle. But while I'm driving i'm getting a "Whine" coming form the transmission till it shifts, and at low rpm's the whine is gone. Any ideas? is my kick down setup wrong?
and it seems to not want to shift till im higher in the Rpms

The shift timing would be a product of the linkage adjustment. The whining is something else, but nothing to do with the linkage.

The shift timing would be a product of the linkage adjustment. The whining is something else, but nothing to do with the linkage.

The whine didn't start till I put the lokar cables in... The kick down lever shouldnt move till I give it at least half throttle correct?

I got mine from mancini and it has lots of adjustments and didn't take long to get right. Holds the gears just right and kicks down at 26 mph like it should.

promo cars 018 (Small).jpg

The whine didn't start till I put the lokar cables in... The kick down lever shouldnt move till I give it at least half throttle correct?

No that's not the way it should be. The kickdown cable should start to move the tranny lever as soon as you accelerate from idle and the tranny lever should be all the way rearward at WOT. If the cable is not being pulled forward (towards the rad) by the carburator lever right off the bat then the hole that the cable anchor is bolted to is to close to the carb butterfly shaft centerline. A new hole needs to drilled further out on the carburator lever to change the angle and start to pull the cable sooner.

Terry

i bought a bracket at summit that increased the length of the through for the transmission cable. i used it on a holly.

This is my setup right now, strait from lokar instructions ;)
DSCN2024.jpg

at WOT my lever is all the way back towards the rear end... Maybe my rebuilt tranny is a POS? Wouldn't suprise me

I went one step further and got rid of that Lokar bracket, it always wanted to spin forward on the single manifold bolt.

Terry

11111.jpg

222222.jpg

That's an issue. And I'm trying to find an after-market lever that goes on the shift shaft of the transmission to make those adjustments possible and I'm having issues doing that

i bought a bracket at summit that increased the length of the through for the transmission cable. i used it on a holly.
My brackets a jegs. My cable is a Lokar. It's been suggested where the shift points to right I'm not getting full line pressure at wide open throttle

-
Back