727 to a 360 magnum.

-

Noah Denlinger

Duster74
Reaction score
Hey, real new guy here. I'm picking up a 74 duster today, first project ever. It has a rebuilt 360 out of a 1990 dodge but the 727 is blown. I apologize for my ignorance but I'm taking on this project to learn. I have a 360 and a 727 at home out of a 73 Polara but I'm in the military and need to get this thing rolling under its own power as soon as I can.

This is a screenshot of the add for someone smarter than me to look at. Below is a pic of the duster. Guy is charging $900.

upload_2020-7-20_19-27-18.png
upload_2020-7-20_19-33-10.png

First, Welcome to the site, and nice car! Now, if you 360 is a 1990, it is not a magnum. And, your '73 727 will bolt in place of your blown tranny now, just use the same converter/flexplate. I hope this is what you were asking, and thanks for your service ! :)

If this is a learning project, why not learn to rebuild the tranny yourself? We can help. That 727 that you are looking at will not fit on your small block motor.

Thanks for the replies, and now you see how much of a noob I am. I'm interested in rebuilding it, I'm unsure how far gone it is but I'll know more when I get it in my possession
(I'm picking it up tomorrow now). The powers that be, are very against heavy vehicle maintenance at the barracks so I have to be low key about everything. Dead of night kind of stuff. They're also towing stagnant vehicles left and right which is why I need to get it mobile. I deploy again in less than half a year so I want to have a little fun with it before I leave and I wont have time to go home before then.

First, Welcome to the site, and nice car! Now, if you 360 is a 1990, it is not a magnum. And, your '73 727 will bolt in place of your blown tranny now, just use the same converter/flexplate. I hope this is what you were asking, and thanks for your service ! :)

I appreciate it, thats exactly what I was looking for.

After you get it out, show us the insides. Here is a book to get you started- we can help with the rest.
100_2648.JPG

Hey all, the ad says the 727 is for a 383 am I missing something?

Welcome to the site! Is the transmission you posted a picture of the one you intend to use? Because the ad states that it's a big block (383) 727, which won't work behind a small block (360).

Sometimes blown just means low fluid..Make sure it's AT LEAST to the full mark in Neutral running and let us know what it does wrong.

Don't reuse a converter from a fried transmission on a fresh tranny.
Sniff the dip stick. If the fluid is black and smells burn then it's most likely fried.

Fyi the 90 motor is a great motor. It has LA heads with a roller cam. It's not a magnum it's a roller motor tho.

Plan B= if rebuilding the tranny is too challenging, then can save money by R&R the trans (remove and replace) it yourself and take it to a professional shop for rebuilding. This would also save time. My son is at Fort Bragg and is able to work on his car. Each base is run a little different. Good luck.

If anyone is interested in an update, I picked it up late last night. Engine is out of a 95 ram, not a 90 so it is a
magnum. Bored out 30 over, comp cam and few other things I'm still discovering going over the paperwork.
It has what I believe is a 7.25 rear end, open diff unfortunately. As of this morning it wont turn over and all I'm getting is a single click from the starter solenoid. I'm picking up a multimeter and some jack stands tonight so I can try and figure it out.

IMG_8153.jpg

Need to start with a fully charged battery. Check all connections from the battery, ground and starter connections. Tighten and /or clean them first.

-
Back