727 Torque converter

-

73smallblock

Reaction score
Who would you have build a 8" converter for a strictly drag car? I currently have two 8" that were bought second hand, but one is broken now. Can someone just repair my broken one and have it changed to suit my build, or am I better off just starting over?

Yes it can be repaired and redone to your specs , a new 8 inch is over $1,000 in most cases , a rebuild is less than half that. I use and recommend Ultimate Converter Concepts 843-264-5448

Yes it can be repaired and redone to your specs , a new 8 inch is over $1,000 in most cases , a rebuild is less than half that. I use and recommend Ultimate Converter Concepts 843-264-5448
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and call them this week.

Did Lenny used to be a part of Dynamic?

Does anyone else have a suggestion? In case they don't call me back.

I still have 2 727 Ultimate 8” converters. One would 60 in the 1.24-1.28 range. The other slowed the car slightly, but produced a stack of 1.34 60 times making the car more predictable than its ever been. If I hadn’t gotten stupid and sold my 727 I’m at the point where I’d put it back in. We’ve been 1.2s with the 904 and 8”.

I still have 2 727 Ultimate 8” converters. One would 60 in the 1.24-1.28 range. The other slowed the car slightly, but produced a stack of 1.34 60 times making the car more predictable than its ever been. If I hadn’t gotten stupid and sold my 727 I’m at the point where I’d put it back in. We’ve been 1.2s with the 904 and 8”.
And that's what I'm trying to do, make the car more consistent. Right now it has a turbo action in it and one pass it will go 1.42 next pass is 1.45 which seems to be effecting it on the other end. Whit the converter that is broke the car was 1.52 far more than it wasn't and it was pretty consistent on the big end.

So I called a few places today, coan and ptc. Coan said since it isn't theirs all they could do is rebuild it, not do any adjustments. Ptc said they can make the changes I'm looking for.

So I called a few places today, coan and ptc. Coan said since it isn't theirs all they could do is rebuild it, not do any adjustments. Ptc said they can make the changes I'm looking for.
Kenny worked on my Ultimate, good guy to deal with, races a Mopar too.

The last convertor I had repaired was by Jason at QuickDraw, he seem to work on any brand. Some companies will only work on their own. The 2 new ones I bought have been a Trans Speciaites and a ATI. Repairing a broken one is typically around half the cost of a new one depending on what's broke.

Does anyone else have a suggestion? In case they don't call me back.
Call Alan Bowdish at A-1 In Vancouver, WA. They took over Marvin Ripes business. I have their 8” 5500 in my 72 Duster behind 700hp. 306-574-9966

Call Spec rite converter redding california.. I've used dynamic I've used ultimate I've used A1 I discovered these guys last year they took my 160 ft time from my a body barracuda with the 540 from 1:36 to 1:25 60 ft nobody knows about this place I was racing one day down in Sacramento California everybody uses these guys easy to work with fast turnaround great prices send them what you have right now they'll make it what you need to be super nice people honest dependable efficient

PTC sent me some pictures of the broken converter. I thought they were cool so here you go. He said it was from metal fatigue and bad furnace brazing.

IMG_20230130_120016.jpg

IMG_20230130_120011.jpg

IMG_20230130_120008.jpg

-
Back