727 Torque Converter

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
Looking for the correct torque converter for a 727 auto mated to an LA360. Pretty sure this is where my vibration issue is coming from. I checked the balancer and flex plate and it is correct for an externally balanced engine. What all needs to be addressed/determined, if anything to narrow down the correct converter?

Show us a pic of the balancer and the flex plate. If u have factory parts then u need a balanced converter with 1 or 2 weights depending on the year. But each will swap out with each other. Kim

I was told that the balancer that I have is correct. Can someone confirm?

There is a 360 degree view on the link that shows the back.

No weights on the converter. So I imagine that the flex plate you listed above should correct my balance/vibration issue correct?

ah.. didnt see that.. yeah that's the right one... you need to look at your converter and turn the motor over,you should see a welded on weight between 2 of the bolts...
Like this.. or 2 smaller weights
View attachment 1716118961
Looking for the correct torque converter for a 727 auto mated to an LA360. Pretty sure this is where my vibration issue is coming from. I checked the balancer and flex plate and it is correct for an externally balanced engine. What all needs to be addressed/determined, if anything to narrow down the correct converter?
What year is the engine?

This might be of some help to you.
These are factory weights.

converter weights.jpg

DANGER! That page is WRONG! 1968 thru early 1972 340 motors used forged crankshafts. They were all neutral balanced [crank, harmonic balancer, flexplate, and convertor].

Later in 1972 they put cast iron crankshafts in them. This required a special harmonic balancer with '' for 340 cast crank only'' cast into them. Plus weights added to the front of the convertor to 'offset balance' the entire rotating assembly.

DANGER! That page is WRONG! 1968 thru early 1972 340 motors used forged crankshafts. They were all neutral balanced [crank, harmonic balancer, flexplate, and convertor].

Later in 1972 they put cast iron crankshafts in them. This required a special harmonic balancer with '' for 340 cast crank only'' cast into them. Plus weights added to the front of the convertor to 'offset balance' the entire rotating assembly.
I didn't know that.... OP.. check your engine year :)

I didn't know that.... OP.. check your engine year :)
I'm aware that the listing for the 340 is incorrect, should have marked that in the book some time back. But seeing as it is a 360 engine, and a 79 to boot, then the listing for either the CR25L or the CR25H is correct.

The converter is neutral balanced so I am going to go the budget friendly route with the correct weighted balancer and B&M flex plate.

The converter is neutral balanced so I am going to go the budget friendly route with the correct weighted balancer and B&M flex plate.
If you get the B&M plate i posted you don't need to change the converter... the plate makes up the balance

I'm glad to see that you chosen the route you're going. You never mentioned if the converter you've got is yours or something you've picked up. I see the photo of a transmission with the converter attached has been removed, but I'd like to point out that the weight that is welded on to the front cover is not a factory weight nor have I ever seen one like that from any of the converter builders I've dealt with over the years. Just my observation.

I did not trust the add on weight on that Summit harmonic balancer to be correct.
The description shows that it is for an LA360 and a lot of comments on that link say it has worked. Only one way to find out though once I install the flex plate.

Come to find out that I have a 904 and not a 727. What would be the correct flex plate for the 904?

-
Back