727 Torqueflight Won't Engage

-

'73Dart340

Reaction score
Recently changed oil in 727 torqueflight transmission and now nothing will engage except park. Every gear the car can be pushed as if in neutral. I dropped the pan, checked for anything that looked out of place, new gasket, new fluid and let it idle while going through the gears to check for proper fill. Same issue. Owned the car for about 3 months now never any issues except for a little bit of rough shifting from 2nd to 3rd which is why I figured new fluid may be a good idea. I used ATF+4. Not sure if this is the issue since I've read some people use it with no issues and others dont recommend it for the early mopars. Any advice and/or help would be great. Thanks.

Sounds like it's low on fluid. How many quarts did you pour back into it?

Sounds like it's low on fluid. How many quarts did you pour back into it?
I put approximately 7 qts back in. I also measured how much came out to get a starting point. I did only put about 5 qts at first than ran it to see the level. It was ofcourse low so shut it down and added as needed before running again to check the level.

If you didn't put a new filter on it or pull the valve body down you actually may have an internal problem.
Did you try holding the brakes and revving it a little in gear?

If you didn't put a new filter on it or pull the valve body down you actually may have an internal problem.
Did you try holding the brakes and revving it a little in gear?
I didn't do anything with the value body, but install a new filter. I checked the filter again too just to make sure that it wasnt installed wrong or something.

I didn't do anything with the value body, but install a new filter. I checked the filter again too just to make sure that it wasnt installed wrong or something.
I tried giving it some gas and it felt like it wanted to move and actually did move a little bit without brake applied but it took some throttle to do so and I didn't want to risk messing anything up further.

I tried giving it some gas and it felt like it wanted to move and actually did move a little bit without brake applied but it took some throttle to do so and I didn't want to risk messing anything up further.
do it some more and let the pressure build back up

Put it in neutral and charge the convertor and bleed the air out. Should be all done in 10 to 15 seconds at idle. Then try reverse. Reverse bypasses all pressure regulation. If you can't get reverse, it is time for an oil-pressure test.

What year is this transmission? 65 and earlier have two pumps and require a specific filter, or modifying the later one by opening up a second pump feed hole. Without this both pumps will not draw fluid. Also check the filter orientation to ensure it is on right and not blocking the pump suction hole(s).

Update on the issues I was having. Ran the car again let it warm up and rechecked fluid level. It was very low. Well looks like I have a deep aftermarket chrome pan with "727" embroidered on the bottom. I didn't know this wasnt stock since I've never worked with one of these trans. Obviously more fluid needed to get proper level. Rechecked in neutral and went through the gears again and started to engage as normal. Went back and forth in the garage with no issues and went around the block with no issues or hard shifts. Looks to be good to go. Thanks again to everyone who commented.

-
Back