727 tranny

-

Bills70

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if you can run a 727 with out hooking up the kick down cable or will it mess the tranny up?

You can buy the linkage from a few sources, like A & A Transmission. Like 72 6 pack said, do not run it that way, it will absolutely cause clutch and maybe band slippage, heat and lots of bad things. If you're only putting it on a rollback or trailer for a trip to the paint shop, manual 1st might be ok for a very short trip.

Yeah you will screw it up bad.
ok thanks! I went a head and hooked the kick down cable up! wish I had done that before I installed the headers and power brakes though! what a pain trying to get my hands up in there. I had to have my wife put her hand in there to start the nut on the kick down arm! if she could not have done that I may have had to start taking stuff back off! I got lucky!

Now you need to adjust it properly. The kick down lever controls the internal line pressures.
the Lokar instruction said to push gas pedal all the way down, then pull kickdown wire all the way out to pull kick down lever all the way, then tighten the wire stop down, then check to make sure everything is working! is that correct?

the Lokar instruction said to push gas pedal all the way down, then pull kickdown wire all the way out to pull kick down lever all the way, then tighten the wire stop down, then check to make sure everything is working! is that correct?

Close enough for starters, and you can adjust a bit for personal preference from there if you like.
A tighter cable will shift later and a looser cable shifts sooner, but you do want to make sure you have wide open throttle after any adjustments.

Close enough for starters, and you can adjust a bit for personal preference from there if you like.
A tighter cable will shift later and a looser cable shifts sooner, but you do want to make sure you have wide open throttle after any adjustments.
thanks for the info! Bill

"Sometimes" means "not all the time; not every single time; there may be times when the gas pedal does open the carb completely"..but I'm not sure if Wikipedia would agree..

-
Back