727 Trans fluid level???

-

Thomas Davey

Reaction score
Does anyone know where, relative to the transmission, does the fluid level have to be at hot idle? Assume there's no dipstick. Where would the fluid level be? Thanks all!!

Within about 1/2" below the pan rail.
Remember, level gets checked in gear or in Neutral, not in Park.

The trouble with no dipstick, is that when the trans stops, you'll overflow out the dipstick hole. Seems like a PITA to run that way?

On a stock pan, it seems that 1/2 inch below pan rail is too low - those stock pans aren't very deep

Get a dipstick. There are aftermrket avaiable if you have a different setup.
If you don't have a dipstick, what do you have ?
Your question is meaningless unless we know what your point of reference is.
Factory measurement is on a level surface, operating temperature, in neutral. 1 pint down.

Thanks for all the replies.
I didn't say I had no dipstick. I said assume I had no dipstick. I have a dipstick. Yes it would be a PITA to run without a dipstick.

The question is proper level relative to the transmission. Chrysler knew what that the operating level should be long before they designed the dipstick, right? Can't make a dipstick before the level is established. I want to verify that my dipstick is accurate. I bought two for 727 340 and they had different fluid level indications. Varied around 1/2". Sent both back. Got a used one from a trans shop, but is it correct.

What's everyone think?

You can always calibrate your own dipstick. Just follow the Factory Service manual recommendations for the amount of fluid to fill, either with or without the torque convertor. Follow leveling procedure, Mark the stick with a notch.

I can't use the fill volume as noted in the manual due to a smaller converter and deeper pan. Somewhere there was an observation that the top level of the fluid should be "X" inches below the drums to avoid foaming, but I can't remember just where that was... Thanks!

-
Back