727 transmission fluid

-

bbmopars

Reaction score
I just did a fliter change and change gasket on a big block 727 transmission,with alittle deep extra capicaty pan.i know the stock takes six,how much the extra capicaty ones take?

Depends on the pan. I would start with 6 and go from there. Check hot in neutral.

904-torqueflight-indicator-tube-assembly-16.gif

It will take a little more fluid. Look for one of these under the hood, back by the fire wall.

Nobody here can tell you for sure, you have to figure it out for yourself. Start with 5or 6 qts and then warm it up, shift through the gears, and check. When you're close, drive it around the block and come back and check again. Level ground, in neutral. Then next time you don't have to ask the internet.

Nobody here can tell you for sure, you have to figure it out for yourself. Start with 5or 6 qts and then warm it up, shift through the gears, and check. When you're close, drive it around the block and come back and check again. Level ground, in neutral. Then next time you don't have to ask the internet.
I tried to say that but the op didn't pay any attention. If I would say 8 quarts and it only takes 6 then I'm the ***.

I tried to say that but the op didn't pay any attention. If I would say 8 quarts and it only takes 6 then I'm the ***.
I heard if you have deep dish extra capicapty i here it alittle more then 6.your cool

I hear you ! Tried not to be a smartass. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but it really irks me when people turn to the internet, on certain things, without attempting to solve their problem logically first. How far off is it when the internet does all our thinking for us ??

I heard if you have deep dish extra capicapty i here it alittle more then 6.your cool
The thing about this is that if you don't know what pan you have how are we supposed to know to answer your question correctly. "Every deep pan takes 2 extra quarts" is not a true answer.

Thats what the dipstick is for. It's your freind.

Never ever run a trans below the full mark. A little over is fine like half an inch or so. Some tubes get pushed down in further and put the full mark too low. Especially run it high for racing cuz the fluid goes to the back and the pump can suck air creating a 2-3 spin-up. It says Do Not Overfill..they mean by quarts.

Thats what the dipstick is for. It's your freind.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not if u cant get a stock length dipstick to fit, and had too use an aftermarket set up. Never know if their right or not, especially if u destroy the original trying to make it work. Ask me how I know ! LOL

Never ever run a trans below the full mark. A little over is fine like half an inch or so. Some tubes get pushed down in further and put the full mark too low. Especially run it high for racing cuz the fluid goes to the back and the pump can suck air creating a 2-3 spin-up. It says Do Not Overfill..they mean by quarts.

Half an Inch overfilled? No! If the fluid level is a little low with a deep pan, it doesn’t matter. The filter/suction extension drops the pickup down to the bottom so it will always be submerged. The dipstick is designed for the shallow pan. Running an overfilled trans is a bad idea and it’ll leak when parked and the problems get worse the more overfilled it gets.

Don't use the filter extension. It places the filter down in the trash and it isn't needed. If your trans is leaking around the tube it's because the o-ring is bad; since the full mark is above the edge of the opening. A trans is NOT like a motor; which will be okay a quart or two low. A low trans will destroy itself and many sticks are 1/2" off or more and I've seen some two quarts off. So check it. But like I said, sometimes even running exactly full will give a 2-3 spin-up under hard prolonged acceleration.

You’re saying run the filter as-is with a deep pan? How much trash is usually in your pan? 1/8” or something? With the correct extension the filter sits at the same level as oem. The top of the filter is also porous to allow flow. There is nothing to worry about.

That's another thing. Oem pans touch the bottom of the filter and partially block it. Many times I remove the pan and find its outline in pan residue. The entire bottom of the filter gets blocked; sometimes just from residue washed out of the converter by the new fluid. I put a deep pan on my dually and was glad to have my filter up away from any trash. Some guys use screen type filters to avoid the blockage, but then mini-trash sticks the governor.

Hey you seem to have it figured out. I smoked a clutch pack and bandset to death and I didn’t see an outline in the pan, just a couple millimeters of filth. Were the pans you’ve removed that had an outline just dented like it had been jacked up from the pan?

Maybe pans and extensions have improved, mine is from A&A. Next time it’s drained I’ll shove a scope up there

"I know the stock takes six" How do you know that? I have done probably several hundred transmission services on 727s and 904s and not one stock one ever took 6 quarts to fill. 4 and some change always did it. Where are you getting your information?

"I know the stock takes six" How do you know that? I have done probably several hundred transmission services on 727s and 904s and not one stock one ever took 6 quarts to fill. 4 and some change always did it. Where are you getting your information?
I`m wondering about some of the info here too. I have never seen a filter imprint in a torqueflite or a tubo 350, or a turbo 400, all had deep pans with the appropriate extensions. Why run a deep pan if u are not going to use the extra fluid ? After it heats up, it will still be the same temp. !

Directly from the factory shop manual.ever do ones with extra capicaty deep pans?

Last edited:
I started up the car with six qts in park and let it idle and warm it for a while.check stick before neutral it wasnt on the full mark.it might take another 1 to 1 1/2 qts.i know most the fluid gets sucked in the torque converter when running.

Last edited:
You’re saying run the filter as-is with a deep pan? How much trash is usually in your pan? 1/8” or something? With the correct extension the filter sits at the same level as oem. The top of the filter is also porous to allow flow. There is nothing to worry about.
No trash i did new gasket and fliter and fluid change.it was leakin so bad in the past.

-
Back