727 transmission fluid

-
NEVER even idle a trans that isn't full. The pump sucks air and nothing gets lubed. When a trans comes in and I see scuffs on the converter, I know it was run low. If there's a problem with one of my trans, the converter MUST come in with the trans or don't even talk to me.

NEVER even idle a trans that isn't full. The pump sucks air and nothing gets lubed. When a trans comes in and I see scuffs on the converter, I know it was run low. If there's a problem with one of my trans, the converter MUST come in with the trans or don't even talk to me.
Its not extremely low,probably goin to have to put a 1/2qt to a quart to put in.

They'll leave about half inch of fluid in the pan which will still usually read on the stick. It is no indication of the actual level.

I`m wondering about some of the info here too. I have never seen a filter imprint in a torqueflite or a tubo 350, or a turbo 400, all had deep pans with the appropriate extensions. Why run a deep pan if u are not going to use the extra fluid ? After it heats up, it will still be the same temp. !

I've never seen a filter imprint on anything in my life with a stock pan and I've done transmission services since I was ten years old. I am 53 now. Also, the service manual ain't always right. The information I am sharing here is from my personal experience. I cannot ever remember putting 6 quarts in a 904 or 727 that had a stock pan just on a drain and fill/filter replace. The best thing to do is to trust the dipstick. If it tells you to put six quarts in, then do it. Do whatever the dipstick reads. Pretty simple, really.

I've never seen a filter imprint on anything in my life with a stock pan and I've done transmission services since I was ten years old. I am 53 now. Also, the service manual ain't always right. The information I am sharing here is from my personal experience. I cannot ever remember putting 6 quarts in a 904 or 727 that had a stock pan just on a drain and fill/filter replace. The best thing to do is to trust the dipstick. If it tells you to put six quarts in, then do it. Do whatever the dipstick reads. Pretty simple, really.
, I dont have a stock pan its a deep dish extra capicaty pan that i have on it.i have a six in now,its still alittle low.

, I dont have a stock pan its a deep dish extra capicaty pan that i have on it.i have a six in now,its still alittle low.

It does not matter if the pan is eight feet deep. The dipstick's full mark will still be correct.

Maybe the 6 quarts reference in the manual is for a completely dry transmission and converter. I could see a quart or two being hidden in all the empty spaces of the clutch packs, sun and planets, valve body, the tail shaft, etc after operation.

Engine filters become contaminated from byproducts of combustion. Transmission filters become contaminated by transmission parts. If your transmission filter is clogging then it's rebuild time. If you want to change your filter go ahead, but installing new fluid will wash out the converter and those particles will clog the new filter. The fine particles that embedded themselves in the converter will be washed out as large chunks by the new fluid. They were fine enough to go thru the filter but now they can't. Fluid level is confusing cuz all engine oil is returned to the pan, but trans oil is mostly in the converter.

727 was rebuilt,the shop put a cheap cork gasket on it,it leaked.fluid was alittle dirty.they didnt torque bolts to specs.i put a better a gasket on it.torque bolts to specs.i just changed everything.also one of the quarts is the thick lucas trans stop leak fluid to.

Last edited:
Engine filters become contaminated from byproducts of combustion. Transmission filters become contaminated by transmission parts. If your transmission filter is clogging then it's rebuild time. If you want to change your filter go ahead, but installing new fluid will wash out the converter and those particles will clog the new filter. The fine particles that embedded themselves in the converter will be washed out as large chunks by the new fluid. They were fine enough to go thru the filter but now they can't. Fluid level is confusing cuz all engine oil is returned to the pan, but trans oil is mostly in the converter.

Really? So then, the factory service intervals for transmission services are all bullshit? Seriously man, I don't know where you came from, but if you think you know more than Chrysler engineers, you might need to check yourself at the door.

Oh, and the converter will only hold about two quarts slam full, yet the entire transmission holds two gallons give or take. Yeah the fluid is all in the converter. LOL

Last edited:
Really? So then, the factory service intervals for transmission services are all bullshit? Seriously man, I don't know where you came from, but if you think you know more than Chrysler engineers, you might need to check yourself at the door.
Factory manuals arent bullshit.

-
Back