727 transmission or 340 trans

-

tekslk

Reaction score
My friend was telling me of this special 340 transmission is there such a thing, and what makes it diffrent?

I would not say special....but some 727's have bigger drums and hold more clutches, and different stlye plantaries, and other small differences than others, depending on vehicle application, like hemi cars, and trucks and vans, etc.

valve body plate and governor

I can understand that but I never heard of a special 340 trans, When mine was rebuilt they used thinner clutch plates so they could but more in, Is there really a special 340 trans or not?

I didnt either just trying to get some free education. Thanks everyone.

Sure is a special 340 trans. It is the one that came behind a 340 whether it is an Auto or a Manual! LOL

My 1969 parts manual indicates that there were/are differences in the 727 transmission depending on application. The differences include the number and types of springs and clutches as well as different valve bodies as was mentioned above. The 340 engines had the heavy duty 727 transmission which differed slightly from the heavy duty ones behind the Hemi and 383 HP engines. So I guess you can say that the 727 behind the 340 was "unique" if not "special".

Each trans had something a tad different in it due to the CID of the engine.
Special 340 trans, LOL, about as special as the next hooker on the Bulvd. On Saturday night. There all special. Some specialize in one area over others.

The manual trans behind a 440 or HEMI was only slightly different than the normal production run 4spd.

you are over thinking it. generally, if you are over 450HP you dont want to run the stock 4speed, you will tear it up. so if you prefer manual and go higher in power think T56, g force, lenco, etc.

as far as automatics... a 904 or a 727 will get the job done... if they are built right. a lot of people just stick with one or the other if that is what came in the car, so they dont have to mess with changing driveshafts etc. CRT is a place where a lot of people get theirs rebuilt, John Cope has a great reputation on several web boards. he and many others recommend PTC for torque converters. just call them after you know what HP goal you have and what cam shaft / trans you are running if you go automatic.

in any event, you might want to put new universal joints in while you are upgrading. if you are going super high horsepower/torque you might want to switch to 1350 series joints.

good luck!

A manual Trans is good to about 600HP not 450. The week link on a 4 speed is 3rd gear. It will live over 600hp but you gotta baby the 2-3 shift. This is only if you are actually hooking the car that you need to worry about breaking it. Street car with 600hp don't matter cause you will not be hooking when you bang 3rd gear! On the race track different story.

-
Back