727 transmission

-

robs 67plymouth

motown graffiti crusier
Reaction score
i have a 727 big block tranny with e brake on it i also have a 727 hooked to a 318 from motorhome with slip yoke. can i take off bb bellhousing and put on the other tranny with small block housing?

Are you talking about the tail shaft? Those will interchange, but not the trannys. 727 big block and 727 small block have different bell housing bolt patterns.

is the big block tranny with the e brake a cable trans ?? and a flanged tail shaft or a slip yoke trans ??

fstfish66: I didn't notice he said one had an e-brake on it. Sorry, I'll PM him so you can make your point.

its not realy an E BRAKE if the cable goes into the tail shaft it is a park gear cable,,, one cable was for all forward and reverse gears,, the other is for park,,,if its a slip yoke cable big block tranny,,,dont junk it,,,highly sought after,,

heres a pic

100_3467 [] [].jpg

wow that tranns is from the 50s,, i believe it is a 2 speed not a 3 speed,,,how did a tranny that old get hooked to a more modern motor,,,if it is a 3 speed,, i have never seen one witha rear drum parking brake,,, maybe some one put the old tail shaft on a mmodern tranns???? weird

The trans in the pic is a big block 727B behind a 413 or 440 from a class A motor home (the big ones). They have a parking brake on the trans output. The case is the same, and the internals should be the same as any hemi trans... The bigger drum, 4 pinion planetaries, the deep forward clutch basket, etc. There is no internal difference between the two cases (the 727A small block unit and the 727B big block HD truck) but the tailshafts and mainshafts are totally different but can be replaced together. So you can take the small block mainshaft and tailshaft and have them installed on the HD truck 727B so you end up with a damn near indestructable big block unit.

moper: Thanks. I wasn't sure if he had the experience to make the internals swap. But what you explained was right on. The guts will swap, but the bell housing cases won't. Thanks again.

yeah i got it . never took a tranny apart. i wouldnt mine doing, i just dont know where to start. thanks for the info. here some pics with e brake off

P3100040 [].JPG

P3100041 [].JPG

Good info, glad you asked, I have a setup exactly like that and was wondering about the trans as well

learn some thing new every day,,sure looked old to me,,,whats old is almost new i guess,,,

-
Back