727 valve body,

-

IRISH RT

Reaction score
H All Got a BB 727 Trans here that has had a recent rebuild, trying to identify the Valve Body

The Intermediate plate has the numbers 6 5 8 cut into it , I wondering whether it has a shift kit or not???

Any Help Welcome thanx

You can't go by the separator plate unless they drilled it, and that might tell you if there was a shift kit of any decent type. (Unless the plate was part of the shift kit)
The 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear fluid supply holes are usually drilled larger.
The other tell tale sign is a lot of the shift kit springs are brightly colored and factory springs not so much.

Tracy Fishy68 might be able to tell you a for sure way to tell, but I can't really think of anything else without comparing hole sizes, grind marks, or spring pressures.
Maybe if it has a non stock manual valve (the one that circulates fluid in Park) or the valve body fluid track wall is drilled out.

Many stock separator plates (but not all) had numbers punched out like that. Sorry but I have no idea what the 358 plate was originally used in but if you look the valve body over most of the time you'll find the last 2 yrs of mfg and casting #'s on the main body and channel plate. If you can make them out (some times their cast decent and sometimes their nearly unreadable) you can google what you find and maybe get an idea what it was from. The 3.2 lever is the next to the lowest ratio lever used so that says it's probably not from a real high performance application although as with any trans this old anything could have been changed over the yrs. It's not unusual to find a trans with parts and pieces from several yrs. if it's ever been rebuilt

..................the 3.2 lever was stock for a 340 727 tranny and 74-5 360 hp 727s..............what's the trans number on the pan rail..........kim..........

-
Back