727 vs. 904???

-
I don't know. Or people are babying their old rides now since they are worth more than when they were 10 years old, ha ha.

My 904 had the front clutch go out at 1,600 miles on a hd rebuilt. Now place was super cool and did all the work for free--even r/r the trans. Guy was pretty sure it last this time.

I will see--will say it seems great so far.

both of our race cars have 904s in them...no babying the 904s...

find someone who knows what they are doing...I built the ones i am using I and dont know a whole alot about trans ...just followed the manual...

Parts...used alto red clutches and kevlar bands...and install the 24 spring kit in the front drum instead of the large wound spring...I have modified the 4 disc drum to hold 5 disc.... both are using transbrake...

the one in my 69 barracuda has been in there 5 seasons now...the 71 Dart trans has 4 seasons on it...

I like the 727 myself. It is heavy duty. Probably not needed but that is my only reason. Nothing wrong with a "right" 904 as the racers will tell you.

You gotta 727 in that 66? Im trying to get a 727 in mine (had one years ago) but the doggone trans mount wont mount up anymore as the trans is hitting somewhere. I had a 727/451 in there 3 months ago but Im using the OEM '65 2" rubber isolators now instead of the 1/2" biscuits (look more like grilled cheese to me) that I probably ran 3 years ago in my last 340/727 build. Already pounded the body seam years ago. 'Bout ready to redrill the crossmember and shim the rear up to get it in phase.

i had my 904 rebuilt at ammco in winston salem nc. they have a guy who is supposed to be great with torqflights. new case torque converter and transgo shift kit. shifts firm but not hard. almost two years with normal driving and occasional beating with a mostly stock 318 and not a prob of any kind.

I have been deep into the 10s with my 5 year old 904. It was built by Protrans in Lancaster Ca. Dave there is real knowledgable and is fairly priced. I used to blow up 904s when my car ran 12s then he did the first one and it has last through a thorough wooping. I drive it on the street as well and my car weighs 3440 with me in it. In my turbo car we did talk about a 904 for it since almost all the SS/AH cars have a 904 variant in them, however they dont last behind 900 hp hemis. One thing to remember when you are messing around or drag racing the car is to burnout starting in high gear only. Dave told me if you cant burnout in high gear then you cant break it anyways, lol. One other mention is that when I switched to a 904 I picked up roughly .5 seconds and 5 mph. I am sold on 904s. Dave at Protrans does transmissions for racers all over the country and will ship it to your door.

-
Back