727 vs 904

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
Not trying to stir the pot too much here.
But where does the better choice point to?

I've had a 727 behind a 440 before with no issues.

A 904 behind a 360...again no issues.

Is there really a 20 hp drivetrain loss with the 727.

If so is it worth the extra loss to have a stouter tranny?

vs

Or are they both just good trans. I probably won't pass the 400hp mark. So thinking the 904 would be best. Any takers?

under 400 904 my trans man says 3tenth faster if you can get one that came behind a 360 he says they are stronger i cannt see why i got both and donnt know which im going with maybe your thread will help me thanks

Properly built the 904 is a excellent transmission,i ran one behind my 520 horse stroker with excellent results,and have the same tranny behind my 400+ h.p. 360 with many many hard 1/4 mile passes..

There is huge debate on this and Stock/Super Stock racers with big blocks pay big dollars ($5,000) for a fully rollerized, and torrington bearinged 727 with 904 guts in it from Pro Trans in California. Is it worth it? Best answer I could get was between 0.18 and 0.25 seconds in ET. If you are a class racer looking for every thousandth to set a record, well, then maybe. If you aren't I don't see the point. If you have a 904 keep it, mine has held up to much abuse and it is lighter, which I like. But if you already have a 727 I doubt you'd see any marked difference in ET.

Properly built the 904 is a excellent transmission,i ran one behind my 520 horse stroker with excellent results,and have the same tranny behind my 400+ h.p. 360 with many many hard 1/4 mile passes..

A 904 will probably be the way I go. Already have what is probably no more than a core. Worked 20 years ago I heard. May take on rebuilding it as well.

Heard some have a short first gear. How do you tell.

Are there some 904's more desirable than others?

If so, how can you tell?

from my understanding it depends on your hp and weight of your car..i think it was mild hp and light car yes 904 but high hp heavy car 727 then at some point in hp 727 hands down....i have talked to alot of trans guys and verta guys that say the same thing....the best way is to put 904 low gear in 727 and keep the stronger case...just what i have heard ...i also had plans for a 904 but think ill keep the 727 and get the 8'' verta.......but thats just my 2cent...

been beating the hell out of a 904 in my car for years. the 904 is fine as long as its built right. don't need anything exotic to make them last.

been drag racing with the same 904 since 1993.....it has been rebuilt twice in this time...once because the rear spraq was taken out due to the ring gear breaking...

also I have been using a transbrake in this same 904 since 1994.....the trans is in my 69 barracuda ....

also have a 904 in 71 dart that is listed below...again...working on 4th season...transbrake...

I rebuild both of these trans the last time..so they are not some high dollar tricked out trans....

-
Back