727 with overdrive?

-

danthedewman1

Reaction score
Whats the story with the 727 with overdrive.Ive seen a couple for sale here,but I had never heard of one before.Are they any good?

That would be an A518. It's a truck transmission. I think you'd have a hard time stuffing one into a car because of the size of the tailsection, mounting issues, etc. They can be an excellent tranny when built with aftermarket clutches, a good shift kit, tighter torque converter, etc. They are pretty sloppy in stock form, though.

They are the same length as a 727, but are a lot fatter. It would require major floorpan surgery. A better option would be a Gear Vendors overdrive.

I'm still trying to find out if anyone has installed the Gear Vendor overdrive on an early A-Body. Anyone???

Are the rear mounts the same on the 727 and the 518? Im talking about the distance from the back of the block to the rear mount for the crossmember.

Just completed the mods on the crossmember on a 69 Dart to fit a 518 into it. The tunnel will need to be widened and the top crossmember cut out and re-formed to make it work. Have pics if anyone is interested. They are large so email me off list at [email protected] and I'll send them to you.

Larry

ALL Torqueflites have the same bell to rear mount distances. But the A518 does have a substantially larger tail section. Mopar Action did an article on the swap a few years back. The rear crossmember of the unibody gets modded a fair bit. Because the torsion bars mount to this area, you cant just cut for clearance, you have to maintain strength in the crossmember.

I'm still trying to find out if anyone has installed the Gear Vendor overdrive on an early A-Body. Anyone???

I RAED IN SOME ARTICALE THAT THE GEAR VENDOOR UNIT TAKES THE PLACE OF THE TAIL SEC OF THE 727 AND IS A LARGER PIEACE THAN THE TAIL SAC. IM SURE IT WOULD BE A LOT OF PRE FAB WOULDNT THAT BE RAD 410 FOR THE TRAC SWITCH IT OVER ALL OF A SUDDEN 323 FOR THE HIGHWAY I WANT ONE OH 3000.OO RATS:angry7:

I put one on my Cummins PU and man-oh-man, it is suhweeet. I'm averaging 23mpg in a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup w/4.10 gears. It don't get much better than that.

-
Back