727 won't shift back to first

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 727 that I bought as a very low mileage pull out. It had been rebuilt and put into a truck and then sold. The new owner put his own drivetrain in the truck and sold me the trans. I opened it and installed a trans go shift kit. Used a lokar kickdown cable and bolted it behind a 5.9 magnum in my 1970 dart.

The trans worked perfect for the first ~20 miles of driving around the neighborhood. Upshifted nice and firm, kickdown worked at WOT, etc. I was out driving it last weekend and came up to a 4 way stop sign and when I hit the throttle to drive off the car would barely move. I manually pulled it into low and it downshifted and took off. If I put the shifter I to low and them move it to drive, it'll shift like it should. But it will NOT downshift by itself after stopped. It will still automatically downshift when i go WOT though. Trans fluid is still clean, and full. No odd noises and it shifts great after selecting 1st. Kickdown cable is properly adjusted.

What could have gone wrong? Is it still safe to drive? I basically have a manual valve body now.

Is the kickdown lever stuck back? Is it returning to the front when letting off the gas? Make sure your kickdown is setup correctly. If you're using a cable, like a Lokar cable, you may need to add a light return spring down at the lever.

I saw this exact symptom on a transmission where the kickdown lever was getting hung-up and not returning forward when coming to a stop.

I thought it was the kickdown not returning. So i robbed the bracket and spring from a overdrive A518 trans. It's basically an OEM mopar kickdown return setup. It's definitely returning forward. I'll try to check the governor.

My grandpa used to drive and race mopars back in the day. He told me to drive about 25 mph or so and quickly put it into park for a second and back to drive! He said that will usually rattle the governor loose. A quick google search and it seems like several people suggest that method. It seems to be horrible for the trans though so I would rather not do that.

-
Back