'73 318 timing issue maybe? Really need help

-

OSUcowboy

Reaction score
My 73 dodge dart is acting up!
I have a fairly stock 318 in it and just got done freshening up the motor a little bit. When I was finished I set the timing to 8 degrees advanced and idle adjustment and had it running pretty well. It was a little hard to start, but overall it ran well. I drove the car about 100 miles to school very shortly after finishing. I apparently did not get the hold down bolt on the dist. tightened well enough because a few days ago it was super hard to start and backfired once, but I was able to get it going. I then turned it back by hand adjusting the timing by ear (then tightened the bolt) and had it running pretty well, and I drove it around for a day with no problems. Note when I did this it was about 70 degrees outside.
The car then sat for about 4 days, and when I went to start it yesterday the battery was low no surprise there, but it wouldn't start. It has a manual choke so I know I was doing it correctly. The only time it even tried to start it turned over twice then backfired twice and died and then didnt even considered starting after. I tried to get out and turn the dist. by hand but it wouldn't anymore. It was very cold outside though. Like 20 degrees.

I don't have a timing light here, I do have quite a few tools though. Also it has an Edelbrock 1405

Please help I really don't know what is going on or how to fix it. And I'm on my own here.

Thanks!

Backfiring is not normal even with timing waaay off. Recheck your firing order if you've had the plug wires off. Finger crossed that it hasn't jumped time.
Good luck

What exactly is jumped time? Also could this be the ignition module? I checked the wires and they're correct.

Jumped time is slang for timming chain skipped a tooth or two. Loosing the relation between crank and cam causes backfiring at tail pipe and/or pop back through the carb. Lets not go there yet though . Could just be flooded.
Block the choke butterfly wide open , hold the throttle to the floor and turn it over. Dont pump the pedal. That just floods it more. Results ?

The battery is dead so I will have to try the pedal to the floor tomorrow morning.

It has electronic ignition.

Thank you guys I really appriciate the help!

Jumped time is slang for timming chain skipped a tooth or two. Loosing the relation between crank and cam causes backfiring at tail pipe and/or pop back through the carb. Lets not go there yet though . Could just be flooded.
Block the choke butterfly wide open , hold the throttle to the floor and turn it over. Dont pump the pedal. That just floods it more. Results ?

The timing chain in my '70 318 jumped a couple months ago and it SUCKED, to put it lightly. Definitely swap the timing set out for a good double roller set A.S.A.P. Before it happened to me, I had to run almost 14* initial advance to keep it from backfiring and stumbling badly. Part of it was also the POS Carter BBD carb and sunken valves, which you could also have depending on the history of the engine. Hopefully it's not that extreme, but sometimes reality's a *****. You should really get your hands on a timing light, as timing by ear is not a very good idea.

The magnetic pick up in the distributor might not be wired correctly to the control unit or MSD. That will affect timing.

If the timing chain has jumped you will get a different sound when the engine is cranking. When everything is right you get a cyclic sound as each piston comes up on compression. With a jumped timing you won't get the cyclic sound, it stays pretty constant as the engine cranks.

Timing chains typically don't just jump one tooth they jump several and in the case of the nylon coated gear the cam will only turn sporadically. When this happens you won't be building compression because the valves aren't opening and closing at the right time. This cause the dull constant sound when cranking.

When I tried to start it again it was still backfiring. So something is definantly wrong. I took the number one spark plug and turned the motor over till top dead center on the firing stroke, then I took the cap off the dist expecting to see the timimg way off and it was not. It was close to number 1, but a little advanced. I moved it back to almost no advance rececked all the wires were on and it started. Thats great and all but I really didnt do much. So im wondering what happened?? The wire to the coil was a little loose maybe but it doesnt make sence it would be backfiring with a loose coil connection does it?

You'd be surprised how much timing a tiny movement of the distributor adds. Although, if it was advanced I think it would've kicked against the starter instead of backfiring (which would happen if it was retarded).

If I advance the timing on my 69 340 past about 8 or 9 degrees BTDC, it will pop through the carb as well. Set the timing to about 5 degrees and it should run smooth.

George

You really, really need to get a timing light. I bet you could find one on craigslist for 10 bucks.

-
Back