73 340 Duster being restored in Maryland

-

sublime green

Reaction score
So we bought this rust bucket 73 340 duster back in 04 and its been an ongoing project but we have not worked much. Planning on painting it the original silver frost metallic i think its called but going with a white stripe. Done a lot to it but still not enough. Coming up on 5 years, wish it was done.
sc01e9524401.jpg

sc01e9804a02.jpg

sc01e90956-1.jpg

sc01e9095601.jpg

sc01e9095602.jpg

sc01e9238c.jpg

sc01e9238c01.jpg

sc01e938b802.jpg

sc01e938b801.jpg

sc01e9238c02.jpg

sc01e9524404.jpg

sc01e9804a.jpg

sc01e9804a01.jpg

sc01e9c720-1.jpg

sc01e9b1f5-1.jpg

sc01e99ccc.jpg

sc01e99ccc01.jpg

sc01e9804a03.jpg

sc01e9da17.jpg

sc01e9da1701.jpg

sc01e9ec58.jpg

sc01e9ec5801.jpg

Don't feel bad, I bought my GTS in the summer of 1997 and it's still not done! It's about 90% done, but still not on the road. Good luck, take your time and do it right the first time. Looks like it's coming along though! Good Luck and remember, restoring cars is fun :thumbrig:.

No kidding. Had my Duster for more than 15 years ( I think ) and just got to stripping the int. on it. Hoping to get it into the body shop next spring. Keep up the good work!

j

looks good so far. color choice is a good one. silver can be very pretty on dusters. white stripe might not show up very well on a silver background though. i think black would look better especially if the interior is staying black as well.....

Thanks guys, Car was originally silver with black stripe but we already got the white interior done and silver and white is an odd combo so we figured go for it.

Looks good so far.....I agree,I would also go with black stripe. depending on the shade of silver,white stripes would look washed out and might do more harm to the appearance of the car than good. but to each his own and it all comes down to what you like in the end being that it is your car. I got my 72 duster a little over a month ago, I have since gutted the interior,ripped the front end off,brought it all down to metal,undercoated everything,reinstalled the front end,knocked a bunch of dents out of the car,finished smoothing out,in the middle of sanding now and paint is soon! Interior is in great shape but I want new carpet so it all came out. engine will get done over the winter and the car will be all done in spring. good luck and keep everyone update with pictures!

Sounds good to. I played around with the silver/white idea. Model kit.
Even though we wouldnt go with the black hood i did it on this, i just wanted to get down the idea of silver and white stripe.
IMG_0456-1.jpg

Nice progress so far. I like that color combo. Should be a real looker wen done. Keep up the good work.

ok ok ok.....that looks good,you said silver and I automatically thought light silver...thats more of a gunmetal grey....yeah that looks good,go with it

Nice progress. All good things take time...some things take longer than others, but it will be worth it in the end.

Sounds good to. I played around with the silver/white idea. Model kit.
Even though we wouldnt go with the black hood i did it on this, i just wanted to get down the idea of silver and white stripe.
IMG_0456-1.jpg

that looks good. i was thinking typical silver. that is almost a charcoal to me.

Sorta, Pretty sure the original silver is sorta like that shade. But we still are unsure. Who knows what we paint it, still undecided but we are going for that. He can do whatever as long as its not sublime. I want a car rightfully mine to be sublime haha.

Five years may seem like a long time, but once you're done, think of the memories you've just built...I like the color combo, by the way. Gunmetal is an overlooked color and looks great on model you've built as a demo for it.

Yup it will be different. Then for our other duster we would like to go with black with a silver 340 stripe. Took a few pics today. Starter is giving us a fit. Its sticks so its being taken off now and looked at. hope to get it runnin soon. Pics later tonight.

Don't feel bad...I've had my Charger since 1998 and it still hasn't gone to the body shop! Looking good, you guys are making progress for sure but what's with the black engine compartment?

hey man don't feel bad. it's coming, just keep workin hard and it'll get done. post pics. when you do get it done, we'd love to see it all done up!! good luck!!

thanks guys, the blac engine compatment, well he doesnt want to pull the engine out... He said maybe some day after we get it all painted so for now its staying black :( pics soon, i just need to upload haha.

yeah, that gunmetal grey is great, want mine like that too, but with black stripes!

Hes kinda thinking light silverish blue. I really dont care to much. We got it running today. Had to take off the mini starter from summit off.(below) It was sticking and it would never stop cranking. A litle wire was keeping it magnetized. Battery was dead but luckily there was a 3 year warrenty, exchanged it and got a new one for $6 i think it was :) Got a new alternater. Surprised advanced Auto had one. Had it running earlier but a spark plug cracked and we stopped. Painted the fuel tank straps.

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

had to fabricate metal and undercoated over it. Kinda looks like crap I'd say.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Thanks felles, Actually got a lot more done than what we expected today. Put on new rear shocks just a littlre bit ago and installed the rear part of our new exaghst. Took long enough to find them shocks, went everywhere looking for them haha. Theres a buzzer when you put the key in that wont go off, even when the car is running thats got a few choice words today its so annoying so we will have to find it. Anyone know what it looks like?

-
Back