73 360 in 66 Cuda Water Pump

-

Bob McMillen

Reaction score
The 1973 (build date July-ish 1972) 360 was in the Barracuda when I bought it. I am trying to fix some of the things the PO did that were not wrong but not right either.
The 360 has the correct balancer and the timing chain cover has the timing marks on the left (driver's) side. The crank pulley is a 3 belt groove pulley.
The water pump (completely shot) had the inlet on the left (driver's side) so I assume it is an early (69 and older) pump. The pump pulley is a single belt pulley.
The radiator is an iffy 22" unit. It really needs to be replaced.
So, I am considering going to a right (passenger side) outlet radiator and the later water pump.
I have read that the later pump with the right side lower hose connection is aluminum instead of iron (good thing) but it also is longer (mounting surface on the timing cover to the pulley mounting flange). But I can not find for the life of me how much difference there is in length.
Can anyone give me the dimensions on the pumps? Have you run the later pump on an early A body? Any other tips?

I have the 70-up water pump and they are all aluminum and they are longer. You need the matching pulley and I'm not sure if it will line up with 69-down crank pulleys or not since my 340 is a 73'.

Page 2. Alternative sb water pump. Says cast pump is 3/4 inch shorter than an aluminum w/p. I think I seen somewhere someone said 5/8 difference. Kim

Page 2. Alternative sb water pump. Says cast pump is 3/4 inch shorter than an aluminum w/p. I think I seen somewhere someone said 5/8 difference. Kim
While you were looking, I found the Milodon units. According to their web page the difference is 13/16".
I need to see if the WP pulley I have will line up with one of the grooves on the crank pulley. and if the fan will fit without a spacer.
If you come across anything, LMK. Anyone else as well.

I have a 1966 Barracuda. I put in a 1973 Plymouth Fury 360/727 and used all of the 273 externals - water pump (iron), alternator, distributor and exhaust. The flex fan is just over an inch away from the 67 radiator that I had triple cored. If I used the 360 water pump the fan would be in or in front of the radiator. I still have the 66 radiator because this was a weekend swop so I had another radiator done before hand. I later took the Fury wiring and upgraded to electronic ignition, voltage regulator, dual field Alternator. PS & PB. Eddy intake and 4V......

66_360.JPG

While you were looking, I found the Milodon units. According to their web page the difference is 13/16".
I need to see if the WP pulley I have will line up with one of the grooves on the crank pulley. and if the fan will fit without a spacer.
If you come across anything, LMK. Anyone else as well.
I may be able to help with a pulley or 2. Kim

Last edited:
I have a 1966 Barracuda. I put in a 1973 Plymouth Fury 360/727 and used all of the 273 externals - water pump (iron), alternator, distributor and exhaust. The flex fan is just over an inch away from the 67 radiator that I had triple cored. If I used the 360 water pump the fan would be in or in front of the radiator. I still have the 66 radiator because this was a weekend swop so I had another radiator done before hand. I later took the Fury wiring and upgraded to electronic ignition, voltage regulator, dual field Alternator. PS & PB. Eddy intake and 4V......

View attachment 1715687528
If the Milodon info is correct and the difference is 13/16", it would seem that a shorter fan spacer and possibly a different pulley would allow the 73 water pump. That and a right side outlet radiator.

View attachment 1715687528
How well does that '67 radiator fit?
We have a Campion aluminum unit that is "supposed" to be for a '66 A body and it has no where near that much room!!

-
Back