73-76 A-body 8 3/4 rear for 65 Dart?

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
So if I want to get an 8 3/4" rear in my 65 Dart with the LBP, the 73-76 A-body unit is the way to go, right?
Specs look like the spring perches are in almost exactly the same place, but the overall width is narrower. Anyone do this, and if so, any issues with the drums/rims/tires hitting the inner fenders on a car with stock inner fenders?

What should one expect to pay for a complete 8 3/4" rear from a 73-76 A-body?

I'm looking to upgrade my 65 Dart to LBP, and eventually 4-wheel discs. Most of the rear disc conversion kits are for the 8 3/4" rear. I may also look at a bib block swap too, so might as well.

Thanks!

So if I want to get an 8 3/4" rear in my 65 Dart with the LBP, the 73-76 A-body unit is the way to go, right?
Specs look like the spring perches are in almost exactly the same place, but the overall width is narrower. Anyone do this, and if so, any issues with the drums/rims/tires hitting the inner fenders on a car with stock inner fenders?

I'm looking to upgrade my 65 Dart to LBP, and eventually 4-wheel discs. Most of the rear disc conversion kits are for the 8 3/4" rear. I may also look at a bib block swap too, so might as well.

Thanks!

73-76 LBP rear axles are 8 1/4 or 7 1/4, Never made a LBP 8 3/4 A-body rear. FYI

Well ya see how fast you learn new things?

I guess I'm back to figuring out where to get one from without having to hack anything up.

Thanks guys.

You can find them fairly easily. Finding them affordably is another thing altogether....... I gave $350 for one yesterday, and had to drive to Charlotte from Atlanta to get it. It's a C-body housing that had been narrowed to A-body specs, big bolt pattern axles, big brakes, but no gear.

100_0576.jpg

I used a 8 3/4 rear in my early-A from a 69 Dart 340 4-speed, worked fine! All 65-72 ones should work!

You can find them fairly easily. Finding them affordably is another thing altogether....... I gave $350 for one yesterday, and had to drive to Charlotte from Atlanta to get it. It's a C-body housing that had been narrowed to A-body specs, big bolt pattern axles, big brakes, but no gear.

100_0576.jpg

Was that the one on craigslist Charlotte? I saw that and thought about it, but I thought it was fairly pricey for an empty housing. Guess I was wrong!

Was that the one on craigslist Charlotte? I saw that and thought about it, but I thought it was fairly pricey for an empty housing. Guess I was wrong!

Yep, same one. Weather it's pricey or not, depends on how you want to look at it. A stock A-body housing is gonna cost you some coin right off the bat, and it's still gonna have the small bolt pattern and small brakes. You'll spend several hundred bucks upgrading the axles and brakes, on top of what you spent for the rear. A bare housing that's been cut down runs about $300, without axles, brakes, etc. Keep your eye on ebay. Every once in a blue moon you'll find a deal on one there. I saw one go for about $225 a week or so ago, minus shipping. But it was SBP and no gear too.

Thanks!
I had a spare '65 "B" body rear. Had it shortened and axles made by Moser. Perfect fit in my '65 Dart.

What did it cost you to have the housing shortened and the axles done? I may be able to lay my hands on a B-body unit fairly easily.
Give Moser a call. If you're just going to be on the street, you might even be able to have the axles shortened without the expense of race axles. Cheaper yet if you retain the stock adjustable bearings. Not to be used with rear disks though. Moser "Green" bearings in that case.

A guy I work with just bought a complete 8 3/4 out of a dodge van for $100, given it will have to be cut down but still, $100 bucks!!!!

Just a thought but if you are going to go to the expense of having a housing cut and ordering new axels, why not go with a Dana from a truck or something?

Theres no kill like Overkill:toothy10::burnout:

I got my 8 3/4 out of a '69 half ton pickup. It came complete, drum to drum with a 4.10 Suregrip for $225. It has 11" drums and 2 1/2" brakes. I am having it narrowed 54 1/2" axle flange to flange with spring perches on 43" centers. I found everything I need to rebuild the brakes at my local NAPA store. Just told them I need parts for a 73 New Yorker which came with 11" drums, 2 1/2" brakes and 5 x 4 1/2 BC.

I bought an 8 3/4 housing narrowed to my specs a while back on ebay for $125. Cost me $170.50 delivered. Just got my final measurements to the guy last week & he was planning to ship it on Monday. Should be here any day now. Seller was teamarctic.

As far as the Moser axles go, they have 2 different sets, race and oem.
I got the oem w/bearings and lbp for $300 a few years back. You will need to know what the rear is from and which ends are on the tubes...

Bob

When I parted out a 69 A108 van, I saved the 8 & 3/4 rear. I suppose it could be used as a donor for a cut-to-size rear end. Problem is the perches are on the top (not a big deal to removed) and it has separate shock mounts (also not a big deal to remove). Guess the best thing about it is that it has a set of 3.91s in it (unfortunately not a sure grip)

-
Back