73-76 Dart/Duster Sail Panel conversion

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time finding replacement sail panels for my 1975 Dodge dart Sport, (duster body) :BangHead:. Is there a way to use the older Duster sail panels form 1970-72 in the later bodies? Has anyone done so, and have any pictures to share? :)

Thanks

@C2ndLTpigeon
I have some rough a-pillars I can give you. I’ll shoot you a PM when I get to them this evening.

Well time to ask the question again as I have had no luck in getting the pieces I need. Can early models sail panels be used in 73+ cars with modification?

Yes, you can use the ‘70-72 Duster/Demon metal sail panels in the ‘73-76 Dusters/Dart Sports. You have to make the notch in the corner for the window latch a bit bigger to clear the later hardware. Once you do that the metal panel bolts in. The metal panels don’t cover all the way back to the rear window though, so you either have to use the earlier cardboard sail board to cover that area or make something on your own.

I’ll see if I have any pictures of my Duster handy, I use the metal panels on mine.

Yes, you can use the ‘70-72 Duster/Demon metal sail panels in the ‘73-76 Dusters/Dart Sports. You have to make the notch in the corner for the window latch a bit bigger to clear the later hardware. Once you do that the metal panel bolts in. The metal panels don’t cover all the way back to the rear window though, so you either have to use the earlier cardboard sail board to cover that area or make something on your own.

I’ll see if I have any pictures of my Duster handy, I use the metal panels on mine.
Awesome thanks for the info! I see those available often and might be something I end up doing

Here’s a couple of pictures. If you have the later plastic panels they have a notch for the window latch, you basically have to replicate that notch on the earlier panels (which have a smaller notch). I found the notch had to be a little bigger on the metal panels just because the shape of the panel is a little different in that area. I made the sail board to cover back to the rear window out of ABS plastic sheet.

CF1B26A7-2EF8-48D2-9FF1-19B21E1D4931.jpeg

DE0FEB72-733E-4C93-9692-3A488FD5FD26.jpeg

4E1A1240-077C-42F9-8C55-453E6D71B93E.jpeg

BD83F74C-CB25-45D5-B5C4-E27CE2E9EDF0.jpeg

Here’s a couple of pictures. If you have the later plastic panels they have a notch for the window latch, you basically have to replicate that notch on the earlier panels (which have a smaller notch). I found the notch had to be a little bigger on the metal panels just because the shape of the panel is a little different in that area. I made the sail board to cover back to the rear window out of ABS plastic sheet.

View attachment 1715955941

View attachment 1715955942

View attachment 1715955945

View attachment 1715955943
Thread dig, but how does the old style line up with the later model door trim do the lines etc match up?

-
Back