73-76 Dart Sport rear metal trim question

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I tried searching a few terms, but I don't even know what these parts are called. On the Dart Sport, some had the rear aluminum/pot metal? Trim around the tail lights and between them. I've attached pictures of mine. The previous owner painted it flat black, and not well. I want to strip the paint, sand away any bubbles and glaring imperfections, and then decide if I'm going to paint, polish, brush, or some combination thereof. How can I remove the paint?

One of my old go-tos is oven cleaner or aircraft stripper, but pretty sure both of those would damage the underlying metal far worse than it is. Other options?

Thanks.

IMG_20230207_162617837~2.jpg

IMG_20230207_162609434_HDR.jpg

That's a,74 up thing.
Tail lamp bezel and center section
They were when new pot metal chrome plated and then the recessed parts were painted silver.
Best to go d a better used ones.
As the post metal is full of holes now on yours
To replace any post metal or paint is work.
Plating requires full strip and filling holes with layers if copper and sanding. One layer at time
Painting requires the same strip, fill with high build primer sand in steps.
You could shoot it after with a highest silver as you can get.
Then tape it up and shoot the recessed parts a darker silver.
That would be best option.

Take them to a custom motorcycle shop. They are the cheapest place to take parts like that to get chromed and the best experienced in removing the pits. We have a bike museum in pa. that does our parts. Parts come back like new. 1/8 of the price of an auto chrome shop here in pa. called.. Pauls

FYI, the 3 piece, full width taillight bezels were a 1975 model year only application. The poor manufacturing quality just compounds there difficulty in finding decent ones. Same situation with 1975 Dusters.

Take them to a custom motorcycle shop. They are the cheapest place to take parts like that to get chromed and the best experienced in removing the pits. We have a bike museum in pa. that does our parts. Parts come back like new. 1/8 of the price of an auto chrome shop here in pa. called.. Pauls
Thanks for the info Steve maybe pass on their info I have a second one I might try again.

-
Back