73-76 duster plymouth trunk emblem glued on? And location?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Hi, I pulled the plymouth emblems off the back of both my dusters and found they were attached with some kind of epoxy glue. I'm thinking this can't be factory, how did they originally attach these? They seem too thin an emblem to be stuck on with double sided tape, so what did the factory use, and what is the proper location, mine were in two different places for my 74 and 75.

They were stick on emblems, the attachment was similar to a double sided tape although it was a little different than the foam based stuff used now. The emblems came backed with it. You can see the remnants of the "plymouth" lettering on the trunk lid of my '74.

IMG_5238_zps8c2c1f04.jpg

IMG_5238.JPG

Last edited:
The "Duster" emblem has pins, the "Plymouth" emblem on the trunk lid does not. My picture is a little confusing because the "plymouth" emblem the OP was asking about isn't there, just some of the stick on backing is left over. But it still shows the location of the original stick-on emblem.

Here's where mine was on 75 Duster. Black rubberlike adhesive...

2016-12-10 18.57.16.jpg

Here's where mine was on 75 Duster. Black rubberlike adhesive...

View attachment 1714997250

And in a different spot than mine was on my '74 too.

With the stick on emblems there were factory guidelines for location, but they weren't always in the exact same spot. Some of the locations may have changed by model year, but even within the same model year there were differences. I've even seen them crooked on fully original cars too, just depends on how diligent the factory worker was in applying them.

They were stick on emblems, the attachment was similar to a double sided tape although it was a little different than the foam based stuff used now. The emblems came backed with it. You can see the remnants of the "plymouth" lettering on the trunk lid of my '74.

View attachment 1714997206
View attachment 1714997207
Looks just like my 74 except for the bumper, and my 75 had it in a different location too, a bit higher than the other 75 above.
Although stick on stuff can be a pain, I do like the lack of holes for the de-badged look.

526502028.jpg

Did all 73 Dusters have the trunk lid Plymouth emblem? I've seen a lot of tailend photos that have the 'Duster' but not the 'Plymouth' emblem. If not, would there be an assembly date or build sheet reference?

Dennis

Did all 73 Dusters have the trunk lid Plymouth emblem? I've seen a lot of tailend photos that have the 'Duster' but not the 'Plymouth' emblem. If not, would there be an assembly date or build sheet reference?

Dennis
My 73 never came with Plymouth emblem on the trunk .I bought it in 1974. Only the duster emblem .

That's is what I thought. It must have been one of the 'changeover' year things going from the pinned 70-72 'Plymouth' to the adhesive backed
'Plymouth' in 74. I did not recall that my original 1973 Gold Duster had it either. I am going to add one to my restored 73 Gold Duster.
Dennis

Last edited:
-
Back