73-76 Suspension Parts in 72?

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
I am going to have an opportunity to buy some parts off of two Dusters this weekend. Most of what I really wanted he won't sell, but I can get some stuff.

One car is a '74. It is a factory front Drum Brake car, but has all of its front suspension. Based on some stuff I have read on www.bigblockdart.com, apparently the K-Frame and some other suspension stuff is better than what I have currently. :read2: (I wanted to buy the front disc brake UCA's and Spindles off the other Duster, but he won't sell.)

Would it be worth the work and money to buy the K-Frame and Steering Linkage off of this '74 for my '72? (I am already going to buy the LCA's and Sway Bar since my car doesn't have a front sway bar.)

The current engine (/6) in this car is going to be upgraded to a 383/400 or possibly a 5.7L HEMI in the future.

Thanks.

I'm not an expert by any means, but you haven't got a reply yet so here goes. I believe the difference in K-frames is the spool-type motor mounts. As far as suspension parts goes, in '73 they changed to bigger ball joints. I don't think there were any big geometry changes. Maybe a little more camber or caster gain, but not something that will make a huge difference on a pure street car. I would say unless the parts are unbelievably cheap, pass on them. There's just not enough to justify spending the extra time and money to convert to '73-up stuff and still have drum brakes. If you really want a sway bar, you should be able to weld a small bracket on the LCA and away you go.

-
Back