[Found!] 73 A-body ball joint socket

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked the o reilys, advanced, and auto zone in my area, none say they have one. Then again, i didnt have a specific size. It was a drum brake car. What size should it be? 6 or 12 point? Thanks

Checked the o reilys, advanced, and auto zone in my area, none say they have one. Then again, i didnt have a specific size. It was a drum brake car. What size should it be? 6 or 12 point? Thanks
Should be the small one if its drum brakes and will be a square socket with rounded corners

Some point around 1973 they started using the same large upper ball joint in all, drum or disc.
A good while back there was a member who found a odd size ( metric maybe? ) socket that worked good enough. Harbor Freight affordable too. If it works for you will depend on how well the joint is seized in the threads. I don't know how one would find that alternate socket info through search. Good luck though.

Should be the small one if its drum brakes and will be a square socket with rounded corners

FYI
There is NO difference in a 73-76 upper ball joint on an A body car, wether it is Drum brake or Disc brake car.
They are all what's considered a BIG ball joint.

There are rumors that some very early build, stripped down, drum brake, slant six, 73 A body cars were built with 9 inch Drum brakes, and would have a small ball joint, but coming across one of those cars in 2017 would be a rareity.

Here's a photo of what a ball joint socket looks like.
They have rounded corners, and are not 6 or 12 point sockets.

Ball Joint Socket 004 (Small).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back