73 and up shock bumpers

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I have heard of people collapsing the bumper on 73 and up beak cars to bring the bumper in so it dont stick out as far. What is the best way to do this?
If you have done it show me a picture I'm considering it I'd like to see what it looks like with and without it. Thanks

73 is different than the 74 - 76. The latter have the shocks, so I can't comment on those. This is what's behind the 73 bumper:

IMG_20180213_171724_180.jpg

All you have to do is discard the reinforcing plate to free up some weight, then elongate the slots in the mounting brackets. I don't have a picture of of what they looked like after I opened them up but this is what I'm talking about.

Bumper Brackets.PNG

A milling machine does it quickly but if you don't have access to one there a probably ways to do it by hand. The elongated slots let the brackets and bumper sit further back, thereby closing up the gap between the bumper and fenders, and lets the bumper tuck under the grill.

20200106_153818.jpg

Thanks for sharing that I appreciate it. I really like that grille is it painted black minus the middle?

I got the idea from @Dartn440 I saved a couple pictures of his car since I liked it so much.
Grill Ideas - FABO Post Dartn440.PNG

In my opinion the cars with the bigger bumpers almost need a blacked-out or partially blacked-out grill to balance the large amount of chrome hanging off the front end. The stock look was just too plain looking for me anyway.
20181024_155106.jpg

I got the idea from @Dartn440 I saved a couple pictures of his car since I liked it so much.
View attachment 1715492227

In my opinion the cars with the bigger bumpers almost need a blacked-out or partially blacked-out grill to balance the large amount of chrome hanging off the front end. The stock look was just too plain looking for me anyway.
View attachment 1715492228
Yea those look awesome. I like the partial black out where the center is still argent but I'm not a fan of the total blackout I think dartn440s car is one of the best looking beaks out there!!
@dicksmidlac that grille looks awesome!! I think that's something I want to do!! I just gotta find a 73-74 grille. I found one on here for a really good deal but shipping was high I may go ahead and bite the bullet and buy it anyway.

Thanks team! I loved that car but had to make room. As far as I know it’s still out there roaming in Sweden. I agree with above total black out has a place but I think you have to work with accents and lines to subdue the beak a bit but still appreciate it for what it is.

Thanks team! I loved that car but had to make room. As far as I know it’s still out there roaming in Sweden. I agree with above total black out has a place but I think you have to work with accents and lines to subdue the beak a bit but still appreciate it for what it is.
Yea I really like the accent lines with the black that's what I will do for sure if I can get a 74 grille. I may try and do something like that with my 75 grille and try to make it look better lol

Well I have a couple 74 grilles. Headed out the door for a few months to fight a pandemic.....maybe life will be normal when I get home.

Well I have a couple 74 grilles. Headed out the door for a few months to fight a pandemic.....maybe life will be normal when I get home.
Ok when you get back PM me! I want to wish you safe travels and god bless please stay safe this **** is nasty!

-
Back