73 Bumper Fitment

-
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the heck I'm missing here? Trying to mount the bumper to my 73, with 73 brackets, and a 73 bumper, it is sticking out about 4" too far, and refuses to get tight against the body. I attached a couple of pictures to show where it is sitting, and they are terrible, because they were taken one handed trying to hold the bumper up with the other. One shows the top, the other the side.

I compared the brackets to the ones on my Dad's 73 Dart Sport and they are in the right spot, same shape, size, etc, but his bumper fits right and mine doesn't.

Any help is appreciated on something I haven't thought of yet.

Attachments

• WP_20150216_006[1].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 169
  • WP_20150216_005[1].jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 180
Did you change the bumper supports? On dusters there are two different set ups. One with large pistons and one that's just a metal support. They use different bumper fillers.

There is also a small metal piece that bolts on the side of the metal piece you have pictured through those two small holes

That looks like a 73 dart bumper, the 73 duster bumper doesn't have that much of a point in the middle. You have the wrong bumper if it's a duster.

That looks like a 73 dart bumper, the 73 duster bumper doesn't have that much of a point in the middle. You have the wrong bumper if it's a duster.

Thanks! I seriously hope I didn't take my Dad's bumper and paint it flat black...he may not be too happy about that. Guess I'm going the fiberglass bumper route.

Did you change the bumper supports? On dusters there are two different set ups. One with large pistons and one that's just a metal support. They use different bumper fillers.

One issue with my car is that when I bought it, it had 70-72 front end pieces on it, but didn't have the shock bumpers, it was all the metal supports.

Another question...are the Dart Sport and Duster bumper brackets the same, or will I need to find new brackets as well?

The Duster/Scamp brackets are a bit shorter, and the bolt holes don't line up on the bumper. If your brackets fit, they're wrong.
I can send you the right bumper and brackets for $130 plus the ride...would be right around $30 to Florida.
Tony

The Duster/Scamp brackets are a bit shorter, and the bolt holes don't line up on the bumper. If your brackets fit, they're wrong.
I can send you the right bumper and brackets for $130 plus the ride...would be right around $30 to Florida.
Tony

Are they about 3" shorter? That's about what I'm seeing they need to be.

I'll think about getting your bumper, I'm really leaning towards fiberglass right now since it isn't a street car and knocking 20# off the front is appealing.

-
Back