73 Dart 3rd member swap

-

Beastiedoggie

Reaction score
I have an 8 3/4 from a 68 Cuda, that I am planning to swap into my 73 Dart. Before I screw this up, can you guys direct me? Please if you would tell me all the things that I need to do or have ready for this swap. This site is a wealth of info, and beleive me I appreciate hearing from you guys that have done it.
Beastidoggie

Probably new U-bolts,shock plates if you don't already have them and maybe a new set of springs if yours are sagged.
If your going from a 7 1/4 to an 8 3/4 your gonna need to have your drive shaft shortened.
It's a pretty basic swap if your not planning on rebuilding the center chunk. :)

Better check your wheel bolt pattern. Not sure what came on a '73 Dart, but all A-body 8-3/4 rears are supposed to be the small bolt pattern.

Yeah Greg you are right....all but those special Hemicars. I have that problem solved already...I'll just have Moser weld and redrill.
thanx again
Darryl

Hemi cars used B body rears to get the large bolt patern. No Large bolt 8-3/4 ever came from the factory.

Yeah Greg you are right....all but those special Hemicars. I have that problem solved already...I'll just have Moser weld and redrill.

Oops, I didn't realize that other thread was yours. :salut:

Well it would help if we knew what is in your Dart now.

In 73 any disc brake car already had the big bolt pattern and the 7 1/4 rear end had the 3 inch tubes and brakes that will swap onto the 8 3/4 so you only really need the axles with the big bolt pattern. If you are going to redrill the the axles and drums then you can use all the small bolt pattern stuff but then you end up with drums that you can't just go to the local parts store for.

It depends on what engine it came out with. My Scamp /6 had a small tube 7 1/4 and 9" brakes, so I had to get new shock plates and since the 8 3/4 uses 10" brakes I had to change those. Parts were readily available for brakes at the local Advanced Auto Parts. Everything in stock except SBP drums, which they had the next day for $82.00 each. Everything together (wheel cyls.,shoes,spring kits, adjusters and so on and so on...) $212.51. As for the shock plates, internet buy for $70 and clamp kit from Just Suspension for $36 and change. Results: Priceless

Okay guys... you are saying that I have a 7 1/4 rear in my Dart Sport. So actually all I need is to redrill the axles of the 8 3/4. Now my next question is, will the drums off of the Dart (big bolt pattern 10") fit onto the 8 3/4 or are the drums different? Sorry guys but I am just trying to get it right. Exactly what are you calling the tubes? are you speaking of the housing diameter where the axles are inserted? I'm a newbie to the rear end swap stuff and all of the jargon..Thanks guys

If your car has the big bolt pattern 7 1/4 rear then the backing plates and the brakes will bolt on, the shock plates and u bolts will all fit. All you need to do is get big bolt pattern axles and bearings, or have your small pattern axles redrilled and shorten the driveshaft 2 1/4 inches.

-
Back