73 Dart Sport Axle Width???

-

Reaction score
Any one know how wide a 1973 Dart Sport axle is? All the charts I have found only go up to 72. So I am guessing it must be deferent. I know it looks way to narrow for the body.

I have a chance to get a totally rebuilt E body 8 3/4 rear from a buddy, who changed over to a Hemi and a Dana 60. By the charts it is only 4in wider than the 72 dart axle. I would think that could work with deferent back spacing on the wheels, and the spring perches moved.

Thanks for any advice!

It could probably be made to work if you could find wheels with the backspacing you need. Usaually on a sport alot of guys just use a B body rear, I don't know what you would have to pay for the rear but you have a C body cut down and axles resplined and be into a rear for reasonable amount. I beleve the stated width for a 73 is 53.2" flange to flange as they all used wider brake set ups.

Well I think they didn't put 8 3/4 in 73 and up so thats why but it would be the same length 69-76

The E body rear will be too wide, find an early B body rear and move the perches in 1/2 inch on each side and bolt it up. I just did this conversion and it is much better. The rear wheels actually track the front now.

Yup I did the same as badsport I bought a 68-70 b body rear its only 1 1/2 longer on each side give or take

It looks way too narrow for the body because it is way too narrow.

In 1967, they widened the engine compartment and the whole front end from 55.9 to 59.1 but left the rear end at 55.6.

And they left the narrow wheelwells as well.

Remember tires back then were only about 5 inches wide.

It looks way too narrow for the body because it is way too narrow.

In 1967, they widened the engine compartment and the whole front end from 55.9 to 59.1 but left the rear end at 55.6.

And they left the narrow wheelwells as well.

Remember tires back then were only about 5 inches wide.

HAAAA
I was right! I argued with my wife when I got it. I told her that the front end looked wider than the back. She thought I was crazy! It dose look funny. Especially since I still have the factory skinny tires on it. Looks like there are two save spares on the back they are so far under it!

5-4.5 bolt pattern yes

Thanks!
Found a A-body 8.75 housing, with axles (the wrong ones 4 on 5) locally for $200. I am thinking about jumping on it. I figure I could put my buddies new 3.55 chunk in it. Well that and new axles. Might be worth it.

Wife was not wrong, she was mis-informed.....if you know what is good for you !!

-
Back