73 dart sport rear wheel and tire what will fit

-

mopardart44067

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart sport at the moment it has 7 1/4 rear im gonna put ford explorer 8.8 disc brake rearend,im gonna narrow the long side to match the short side springs in stock location.Iwanna run 275/60/15 in back.iI found 2 sets one set is 15x8 4 1/2 back spacing and the other is 15x10 with 5 1/2 back spacing witch will fit better with the 275/60/15 tires

Damn the 15x8 have 295/55/15 to big

It is only 3/10ths of an inch shorter than a 275/60/15 and 8/10ths of an inch wider
So back space is the deciding factor

Are you making the axel a body length? Or just making the shorter side the length for both sides?
If you are doin what I mentioned second research online the full width of the rear end from disc mounting face to mounting face then the drum face to drum face on a stock 8 3/4.
Subtract the widths and divide by 2 and this will tell you how much longer the axel will be that much longer or shorter than a factory 8 3/4

I have 295/50/15 on mine with a 8-3/4 rear.
Tons of room with 5-1/2" BS.

Hate to disagree, but you can't fit 295's into the stock wheel tubs with the stock spring location. They'll stick out past the quarters, as it appears the ones on your car do. That's fine if you want to run with the rear end of the car jacked way up in the air, but not if you want to run at stock ride height or lower.

I run 295/35/18's on the back of my Duster on 18x10" rims. I have the springs offset a 1/2" in and the quarter lip trimmed back a 1/4", and its still tight. I only have about 3/8" to the springs, and no more than that to the quarters. Maybe less. Without the 1/2" spring offset, the tires would have to stick out past the quarter to clear the springs.

275's will fit just fine with the stock spring location, but we'll need to know how wide the axle is to give a decent guess on the backspacing.

Hate to disagree, but you can't fit 295's into the stock wheel tubs with the stock spring location. They'll stick out past the quarters, as it appears the ones on your car do. That's fine if you want to run with the rear end of the car jacked way up in the air, but not if you want to run at stock ride height or lower.

I run 295/35/18's on the back of my Duster on 18x10" rims. I have the springs offset a 1/2" in and the quarter lip trimmed back a 1/4", and its still tight. I only have about 3/8" to the springs, and no more than that to the quarters. Maybe less. Without the 1/2" spring offset, the tires would have to stick out past the quarter to clear the springs.

275's will fit just fine with the stock spring location, but we'll need to know how wide the axle is to give a decent guess on the backspacing.

Hate to disagree, Stock tubs & stock leaf spring location! I just put on new XHD rear leafs (took off SS springs) so i would assume ride height is close to new/stock.
This wheel tire combo fits MY car really well.
:burnout:

Attachments

• Dart Sport Side Shot Low Res 015.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 397
Hate to disagree, Stock tubs & stock leaf spring location! I just put on new XHD rear leafs (took off SS springs) so i would assume ride height is close to new/stock.
This wheel tire combo fits MY car really well.

Your car is still sitting quite high in that picture, you have several inches from your wheel openings down to your tires. That's still significantly higher than stock. If the XHD's are brand new they will settle in some, lowering the car as much as an 1" or more. If that happens, you may end up with tire rub around corners or with stuff in the trunk or backseat. If you don't believe me, put a long straight edge across the outer profile of your tire from bottom to top and see where it intersects the quarter. I maybe wrong, but from the looks of that picture I would bet that straight edge will show that the outside of the tire will hit the quarter if it traveled far enough, or if the car sat lower.

You can compare my ride height to yours with the profile picture of my car. At this height, there is no way to fit a 295 without a 1/2" spring relocation. There simply isn't a 1/2" to give.

IMG_5264b_zps4c31ed25.jpg

Here's another shot comparing the old 225/60/15's I had on my car to my 295's. You can see the room to the relocated springs, and the quarter lip. The 225/60/15's just touched the original quarter lip under full compression. The 295's stick out further, which is why I cut the lip. After remeasuring, I realized I've taken a 1/2" out of the quarter lip. I have almost a 1/2" clearance to the quarter under full compression.

tireB-A_zps4efb0119.jpg

Stock Duster wheel tubs are ~12.5" from the inner tub to the quarter lip (mine are now 13" after the trim). But, with the stock spring location you lose about a 1/2" of that because of spring clearance. A 295 has a section width of 11.9 or 12" depending on the manufacturer. That's pretty much 0 clearance with the stock springs and quarter lip. Even if you cut the quarter lip back the same 1/2" I did, you still only have about a 1/4" either way, which isn't usually enough to keep things from rubbing during cornering.

The 295 may fit onto the car with the stock spring location, but it will not fit into the wheel tub without cutting the quarter lip back. Even then it may still rub when loaded or cornering. To me, that means the 295 will not fit unless you jack up the back of the car so the wheel isn't in the wheel tub, or you relocate the springs and cut the quarter lip back. And not all of these cars have perfectly centered rears or quarters, so not everyone will have the same amount of space on both sides. If that happens, you can fit even less tire on one side.

Obviously the Duster is lowered a little.
I went out and looked at the Sport. The XHD springs I ordered are stock height and NOT plus 1" or 2".
1) Wheel tub is the same as the Duster at 12-1/2" wide inside. My inside lip is rolled and not cut. Either is highly recommended.
2) I have 3" from the top of the tire to the upper edge of the wheel well opening measured vertically. Tires have NEVER rubbed (stiff springs!) My 295/50/15 are mounted on 8" wide rims so the side wall is quite round not flat like it would be on a 10". I would need about 4-1/2" to 5" of compression before the tire would rub.
3) With a straight edge the extreme outside edge of the tire is 1" inside of the fender measured horizontally.
4) I have approximately 1-1/2" from the inside edge of the tire to the leaf spring with 5-1/2" back space.
Hope this helps.

-
Back