73 Dart Torsion Bar Fiasco!

-

Swinger_73

Reaction score
Hello, I have removed and replaced the torsion bar 3 times already. I had to install new LCA bushings. I jacked the car up and placed it on blocks and let the tires hang so that there was no load on the torsion bars. I reinstalled the bars and tightened up the adjustment bolt. At first the car rested at ride height but after taking it for a test drive it dropped down to almost bottoming out. I tightened up the torsion bar adjusting bolt and it still drops down. Can someone help me with how to install the torsion bar.

I presume that it sat right before removal, otherwise possible socket busted loose at frame. Are you backing the adjusters all the way off? Be sure the pivot is actually turned down to the adjuster before inserting the t bar

The adjusting bolt threads into a part called the "swivel". This part is not firmly attached to the control arm and it can get cocked or even come free entirely. So check that it is in the proper position. Check it against the other side for comparison. It's possible you could be running in the bolt but the bolt isn't contacting the adjusting blade.

Also, check your toe for too much toe-in. That will cause the car to pull down going forward...

Well turns out the swivel wasnt turned all the way down to the adjuster bolt before i inserted the t bar. Worked after that adjustment was made. Thanks guys.

What is the procedure to adjust the torsion bars properly? My son rebuilt my front end for me and in doing so, backed off the torsion adjustments. He put the car back together, but it seems to be awful low in the front. I need a couple inches more height, but I remember back in early 60's playing with the torsion adjustment on a 64 Dart /6 after putting spring hangers on the rear, and the damn thing rode like a tank.

-
Back