73 dart tuneup info needed

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
bone stock 318 2bbl. just started dealing with it, very poor mileage. I understand 73 was a bad year for emission calibrations. any thoughts on where I should start? thank you for your time. RR

Timing and afr if it is noticeably off. A pic of the plugs will get you pages of ideas on here lol

need.more.info.

new build? new to you car/motor? was running fine and now it's not? has it been sitting? has somebody else had their filthy paws in it? etx, etx, etx

have you done any basic diag on it? checked plugs, chased vacuum leaks, leak down, compression test, checked for a hung float dumping gas, dirty air filter, plugged exhaust, and so on and so forth.

performed a basic tune up?

how did you come to the conclusion that the mileage is poor?

i'm sorry, we are unable to process your request at this time due to lack of information. please review the previous query and resubmit with a more complete form.

-crystal ball technical assistance

Robert it is all in the FSM. Doubt it will get better than say 18 HWY

Also be sure to verify the zero on your harmonic balancer. After that, check and verify base timing, total timing and be sure vacuum advance is working.

pull a plug and post a pic, will take 5 mins.. and get a timing light, bad timing will give you bad performance which means standing on the gas more to get going...

been sidetracked but I will get on it. way back I remember a community college professor said that 73 was the worst year of eng mods to meet emission requirements. iirc the factory initial was TDC!

1/4 of the ground strap up from the threads is black/rest of the length is grey/insulator bone white. sometimes I dont start it for months & I use starting fluid, I know I should be filling the bowls instead. RR

SAM_1338.JPG

been sidetracked but I will get on it. way back I remember a community college professor said that 73 was the worst year of eng mods to meet emission requirements. iirc the factory initial was TDC!
The Model Year '73 has -0- to do with it. Before I put together & swapped a 440 into it, this guy's '73 Satellite ran a 16sec. Flat in the quarter, w/a fresh timing kit; stock BBD, Mannys, 2.76's, & the base timing turned up a few degrees higher than stock........that Satellite was a whole lotta Rosie, with probably 20+# of rubber-mounted vibe dampening weights etc., didn't do bad at all mpg-wise either.

-
Back