73 Dart wiper pivot arms position.....

-

73SlantSwinger

Reaction score
Ok so i've finally decided to tackle the dreaded wiper arm bushings. When i bought the car last Sept. only one worked, took the motor off and noticed the bushings were toast. I then took the pivot arms out, problem is i forgot how they go back in??? I have the straight one that has R and L marked on it, and i have the arm that has the curve in it. Help a brother out on this one, what is the correct side or position they go in? pics would be great, i currently have the center bezel and glovebox out to make this easier....thanks

ok so the short pivot arm goes from the wiper motor to the driver's side pivot behind the cluster? then the long pivot arm goes from the pass side pivot to the driver's side pivot? next question is this: the driver's side pivot only has one ball for the bushing to go on, isn't it supposed to have two? or do both the arms go under the bushing?

One pivot on top and one on bottom of the drivers side I think.

weird thing is i was up under there earlier this afternoon and i could only feel/see 1, i was thinking that as well that there should be two.....

weird thing is i was up under there earlier this afternoon and i could only feel/see 1, i was thinking that as well that there should be two.....

I have a 73 Dart Swinger and my drivers side has two pivot points.
Also looked it up as a Google image search and this is what it shows for 73 Dart and Dart sport.

Attachments

• pivot.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 152
  • pivot2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 140
  • pivot3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 149
good info thanks, i guess ill crawl back under there in the am and see how it looks. The bushings on the motor link, are they the same one's as the one's that connect to the pivot arms?

good info thanks, i guess ill crawl back under there in the am and see how it looks. The bushings on the motor link, are they the same one's as the one's that connect to the pivot arms?

Yes, they are the same, so you need four of them.
I got mine off a "Help" wall at Autozone, but I hear the dealer still has them.
Do yourself a favor when you put them on and make a pinhole in the back of each one and also put a little grease in them (just a little dab) they will go on way easier and also be lubed.
If you don't put a pinhole in the backs they try to pop back off once you get them on from the air trapped inside the cup.

any clips involved? i know when i took them out, one of them was just sitting in the dash, but i dont remember seeing any clips related to this.....

Nope, just the plastic inserts.
You do have the lever on the wiper motor that has a stud on it also right?

The older systems had metal clips.

Ok had my dad come over and we tackled it, moved the arms around to find the correct position, got the bushings from Napa, pressed em in, and was able to get those on the pivot arms without too much much effort. Hope they hold, seeing as its plastic on metal lol. Time will tell. Thanks for the help, nice to have wipers finally!!!!

Ok had my dad come over and we tackled it, moved the arms around to find the correct position, got the bushings from Napa, pressed em in, and was able to get those on the pivot arms without too much much effort. Hope they hold, seeing as its plastic on metal lol. Time will tell. Thanks for the help, nice to have wipers finally!!!!

I know the feeling.
Glad ya got it worked out.

If you want to slow future damage, Deburr the holes before putting in the new bushings. As the factory leaves these sharp, and they will chew up your new plastic bushings. And make sure the end of the arms are good and flat. Don't beat the bushings in with a hammer either. Use a larger than the bushing socket, and clamp to press in. And I like Trailbeast' input about the pin hole. These things are a *****, As any under dash job is. The straight rod goes between pivots on the wipers. Pressed hump toward driver. The slightly bent rod goes from wiper motor to drivers wiper. (bent end on the wiper, pressed hump towards front of car.

-
Back