73 Duster Calipers

-

crewchief

A & P Mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can a '76 and up sliding caliper be used on a '73 Duster? What is the difference beyond the '75 year?
I really appreciate any help you can provide.

The front disc brakes from ‘73 to ‘76 were all the same (single piston) compared to the earlier KH brakes. Have you found something that states ’76 front discs were different than the discs in ‘73?

Yes.
The only difference is that the '76 and up caliper uses a 2.75" piston, whereas the '73-'75 caliper uses a 2.6" piston. Can be a decent upgrade. The calipers can be had with a metal or phenolic piston, I like the metal ones.

The front disc brakes from ‘73 to ‘76 were all the same (single piston) compared to the earlier KH brakes. Have you found something that states ’76 front discs were different than the discs in ‘73?
No, just calipers from 73 thru 75 were only covering those years. Another caliper was for 76 and up. Wasn't sure if I could use the 76 calipers.

Yes.
The only difference is that the '76 and up caliper uses a 2.75" piston, whereas the '73-'75 caliper uses a 2.6" piston. Can be a decent upgrade. The calipers can be had with a metal or phenolic piston, I like the metal ones.
I ordered a set from Classic Ind. and their site showed 76 and up. Their tech said it looks like a typo in the description, but show be good to go. We will see when they show up, made by OER.

Yes.

Exactly! The ‘76 calipers went to using the same 2.75” piston that the B/E bodies has started using in ‘70. The E’s and some of the B’s used pin style calipers vs sliding, but they all had the larger piston. And starting in ‘76 everything, including the A’s that formerly used 2.6” piston calipers, went to 2.75”. So A’s, and the B/R/F/M/J cars used 2.75” piston calipers from then on. All of those calipers are not the same, there were still pin style calipers and some of the B body calipers, while sliders, have the brake hose inlet in a spot where it will interfere on an A body. I believe the 73/74 B-body sliders are the ones to avoid for A's.
I ordered a set from Classic Ind. and their site showed 76 and up. Their tech said it looks like a typo in the description, but show be good to go. We will see when they show up, made by OER.

With Classic who knows! They don’t. You could get almost anything

Last edited:
Exactly! The ‘76 calipers went to using the same 2.75” piston that the B/E bodies has started using in ‘70. The E’s and some of the B’s used pin style calipers vs sliding, but they all had the larger piston. And starting in ‘76 everything, including the A’s that formerly used 2.6” piston calipers, went to 2.75”. So A’s, and the B/R/F/M/J cars used 2.75” piston calipers from then on. All of those calipers are not the same, there were still pin style calipers and some of the B body calipers, while sliders, have the brake hose inlet in a spot where it will interfere on an A body. I believe the 73/74 B-body sliders are the ones to avoid for A's.

With Classic who knows! They don’t. You could get almost anything
You are correct in not knowing, the tech wasn't sure either. But they are returnable, of course on my dime.

-
Back