73 Duster Ongoing Project Update

-

Jacmifish

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have been able to consistently work on my car little by little for the past 7 months or so in my apartments 1 car garage (I'm now officially claustrophobic =P).
NCM_0010.JPG

Thought I would post a few pics of things I'm doing right now and a few ideas of what I hope to do soon.

To sum things up my car is a 73 Duster with a rebuilt slant six, headers, dual TTi exhaust, lowered 2" suspension, front disc conversion, EFI fuel system, Megajolt iginition,ect.

My goals for this car has never really made since but what I'm really going for is a nice daily driver (if I want it to be) that I can work on after work as a stress reliever :-({|= haha.

Recently I bought a aluminum fuel tank with a internal pump. Re-bent the mounting straps and modified the filler spout for fitment.
NCM_0032.JPG

NCM_0037.JPG

14+-+3

NCM_0041.JPG

NCM_0035.JPG

NCM_0042.JPG

Trying to go after rust underneath the car with Ospho and then brush painting it.
NCM_0018.JPG

Finishing off some of the wiring by torch soldering as much as I can. Relocating the batter to the rear and installed the electric fan I had. Here is a picture of the hot lead junction I made under the hood for the battery relocation.
NCM_0063.JPG

14+-+14

Right now I'm trying to tune the car and am running into issues with that mostly because I don't know what I am doing haha.
Also trying to troubleshoot some brakes issues I posted about here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970442366#post1970442366

After I get the car running well enough to drive, I plan to design a better bracket for holding my trigger wheel sensor made from sheet metal (if possible). Also a ton of body work and maybe learning how to actually paint :D. Putting in some spare bucket seats I have and finishing the interior.

Thanks for checking this out :thumbup:

Here is some more pics
14+-+1

Cool. I know what it is to work in a small garage ... I get garage envy easily...

Keep up the great work.

Ian

I understand what you mean by feeling claustrophobic working in a small garage.Looks good keep at it

Attachments

• 106_0073.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 202
I've been able to get the brakes working normally so tuning the car has been much easier haha.

I adjusted a few features on the fuel map software which was causing the motor to stall out; it turned out being a decel feature for cutting the fuel which was by default set to 0 pulse width. The car is overall running much more normal now. The region which needs to be tweaked the most is where it is in higher load; it starts to stutter and fall on its face.

I know I will need to eventually get this to someone on a dyno to really get it running right but for now I just want to to run OK. Any guidance or links to material I can read would be much appreciated.

Been a while since I have done an update. I drove the car to work for the first time.

I'm getting a considerable amount of noise from my fuel pump but it had always been like that. I also seem to have an issue with either my fuel injection computer or ignition computer sometimes that will cause misfires (i believe) but that can be fixed by restarting the car. Maybe weak battery...bad ground...not sure yet.

I still need to tweak with the fuel and timing a bit, there is some areas where throttle response isn't right.

Hey guys. So as I said I was driving the Duster to work today. Everything was going great and while driving home I started hearing a loud ticking noise. I pulled over and realized the noise was coming from the dip stick area. I grabbed it and I could feel it vibrating along with the engine; when I pulled it I found that the bottom was bent and the tip had sheared off! :wack:

What's the deal? Could the main bearing be letting the crank move? I suppose I could try moving the crank by the pulley.

I know for sure that I will be dropping the pan to fish metal out and checking my oil filter.

...:scratch:

-
Back