73 duster speedometer cable question

-

dan0340

Reaction score
Hey guys, so bought a 73 duster with 904 trans and 360 engine. Speedometer was all jumpy so I went to replace the cable and noticed something between the cable and the gear at the trans that I don’t know what it is. It’s got a wire coming out of it and was plugged in running who knows where. Here are pictures of the cable and the gear port after I removed it. Any ideas what this thing is!

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

Possibly a sender for an aftermarket cruise control?
Trace the wire and see where it leads you...

Looks factory, possible speed sensor for timing, EGR control, CA emissions privilege.

Hey guys, so bought a 73 duster with 904 trans and 360 engine. Speedometer was all jumpy so I went to replace the cable and noticed something between the cable and the gear at the trans that I don’t know what it is. It’s got a wire coming out of it and was plugged in running who knows where. Here are pictures of the cable and the gear port after I removed it. Any ideas what this thing is!

View attachment 1716267987

View attachment 1716267988
Yes.
It's a gizmo.
It's too well built to be a doo dad.
But seriously, I have never seen one of those before.
And to add, I just changed the speedo cable in my '69 Dart because the speedo was jumping and making buzzing noises.
I got mine from Classic Industries in the proper 52" length, and the issues went completely away.
Very pleased with the results and reasonably priced as well.
Food for thought...

-
Back