73 left me stranded

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
Not sure where this is supposed to be posted, fuel or electrical. On my way home today, my 73 318 dart swinger hesitated when turning a corner. pull up to the stop light and idle started to get low and rough, hesitating, hiccuping, stalled! on the way to work there was no problem. the only difference i can notice is now the motor feels like its turning over more easy. only starts when pushing gas pedal down while turning over. starts but soon idles rough and process repeats. now when i accelerate, the alternator gauge will rise with rpms and get lower as rpms decrease due to rough idle. long story short, waited for the tow truck, towed home and dropped, soon as the tow left, she fired within the first few rotations. shut off and started again a few minutes later.turned around to pull it in the gate and it died as i got to the gate. started again and pulled in to park.

Details: 73 318 2bbl auto. distributer replaced months prior due to lack of advance diaphragm and jumping 2 teeth. pretty much stock as can be.

what do you all think the problem could be? i apologize if this is long.

I would pull the fuel line of and make sure you have plenty of fuel pressure/supply , use a small gas jug and remove the coil wire so it will not start, sounds like your fuel pump could be giving up on you or your gas filter is needing a change.
Or, your float in your carb is sticking or need to re adjusted.

Might want to include the ignition,and carbueration systems.Stock,modified? Oops,Rick.
and Mike on it,never mind.

as far as i know its stock. except for the distributer that i pulled out a dodge van at the wrecking yard. the carb is a carter 2 barrel that looks a little different from the pictured ive seen online. the accelerator pump to be exact. my dad suggest checking the flow after the pump, before the filter. hes an old mopar guy. have the horn from his 69 road runner waiting to get put in this dart. i know i have to rebuild the carb, but to me it seems more electrical then fuel. the alternator gauge never jumped around like that before. lights didnt seem dim or brighter upon acceleration but gauge did dip to the low end every time the emergency flashers would flash.

i dont think so but im not exactly sure. the friend i bought it from just told me he had a rebuilt motor installed. so its not the original block anyway. it should have gas. i filled it up tuesday and went and got food. drove to work and home yesterday and to work and half way home today. gas gauge shows full when filled but empty or below empty after a day or 2. temp gauge is non operational. or at least the temp sender.

Sort of sounds like what happened to me.. After 40 years of rust in the gas tank with a new rebuilt engine it finally filled my fuel filter with rust.. It plugged the filter almost completely.. I wound up replacing tank, sending unit, fuel line, and the fuel filter.. Never has hesitated, stalled, or even quit since I changed it all out..
Mine left me stalled at the end of my street thinking it was vapor locked..

This is electrical,my guess. All the local chain parts houses test,charging systems on the car. Look13 to 14 volts,on read. If not above low 13's ,bench test alternator off the car.If above high 14's,I would check out the voltage regulator.Start there....

I would lean toward the carb flooding from a stuck float. Itll idle fine until it starts to flood, then peter out. Just watch carb at idle and youll see it start to drip fuel from the booster when it starts to flood. Sometimes you can tap it with a hammer to unstick the float, crude but effective.

Possibly the float is sticking. Around the bowl was wet like it was leaking through the gasket on top. I cleaned it off to check if its wet later. Can't do nothing tonight. Looks like ill take the bus to work and take a look tomorrow. Thanks guys!

-
Back