73 plymouth scamp 83 318 won't start

-

cowboyroy

Reaction score
I have a 73 plymouth scamp with a 83 318 i have power to the coil but i don't have spark from that or the distributor. I replaced the cap and rotor and the coil but it still will not start. It was working a couple months earlier.

How did you check the power to the coil? Have you tried running a straight wire to it from the battery if not try that but only crank it a few seconds if it starts you'll have to back track the problem just don't leave the wire on too long or you can fry your coil

make sure your ignition box is well grounded. thats usually what happens. it either loses its ground or just craps out.

Check all grounds as they are notorious. Make sure magnetic pickup plug on dizzy is pushed all the way in. Likewise there is a similar plug on the passenger's side of the harness that usually is near the back of the valve cover, make sure that is pushed all the way in as well.

If coil has spark, but distributor doesn't, check your wires, cap & rotor. If all checks out you might want to check for correct phasing. Good luck.

i am looking at it right now and as i leave the key on the coil gets very hot

'73 318 still has points, right? Only the 340 had electronic ignition.
if you have power to the coil pull the coil wire on distributor cap and put end of coil wire about 1/2 " from a spot on sheet metal and turn engine over and see if spark jumps between wire & body. make sure you have the proper gap in the points. If engine starts but doesn't staying running it could be the ballast resistor.

it is an 83 motor so it is an electric distributor and if i do that i still do not get spark from the coil

it is an 83 motor so it is an electric distributor and if i do that i still do not get spark from the coil
did you check the ignition box ground yet? do you have pics of your engine bay?

unbolt the box from the firewall or fender apron. sand the mounting points to metal. re-install the box and see what happens. if this doesnt fix it , it could be the box itself is bad or even the ballast resistor could have fried.
check all your grounds ... battery to block to body

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 362
  • diagram2.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 417
  • diagram27.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 308
Im not home right now but i will put some pictures up in a couple hours and i got a new ignition control and it only has four of the prongs when theres 5 wire holes

I was just looking at the coil and i dont seem to have power at the negative side of the coil
Could someone tell me why this is?

i switched the ignition key switch to a lil switch under the dash and it fired up thanks for the help guys

-
Back