73 slant 6 AC delete belt

-

RGAZ

Diehard
Reaction score
I deleted Ac on my 73 slant 6 and the only belt driving the water pump is the alt belt (minimal contact) What belt would I use if I want to connect the crank pulley to the water pump pulley directly? The PS pump has its own belt driven from the crank.

Thanks
RGAZ

Thats how they did it from the factory without AC.

Main belt is crank water pump and alternator
P/S pump is crank and P/S pump
A/C is crank water pump AC compressor and tensioner

Last edited:
So the rear pulley on the water pump and rear on the crank cannot have a belt so I get water pump direct drive?

On a Abody Slant 6 damper there is only 1 groove for the alternator and the water pump, if you have AC there is a pulley bolted to the rear of the damper, and if you have power steering there is a pulley bolted to the front of the damper. Also, with AC you have a 2-groove water pump pulley.

I edited my previous post to include the water pump pulley on the AC belt.

On a Abody Slant 6 damper there is only 1 groove for the alternator and the water pump, if you have AC there is a pulley bolted to the rear of the damper, and if you have power steering there is a pulley bolted to the front of the damper. Also, with AC you have a 2-groove water pump pulley.

I edited my previous post to include the water pump pulley on the AC belt.
100% agree. So the question is: if I remove the Ac compressor, I have an extra pulley on the crank that lines up to the extra pulley on the water pump. Can I get a belt that just directly connects those two? So if I run no alt, I still get water pump driven.

Anyone do this?

100% agree. So the question is: if I remove the Ac compressor, I have an extra pulley on the crank that lines up to the extra pulley on the water pump. Can I get a belt that just directly connects those two? So if I run no alt, I still get water pump driven.

Anyone do this?
You would need to fab up some kind of belt tensioner

-
Back