73 swinger 318 will start run drive. gets to temp dies

-

'73 Root Beer

Reaction score
If there is a thread on this I could not find it.
I may know the answer though too.

73 318 flame thrower coil
Was coming loose cause firing issues. Relpaced mounting screws which were loose for nuts and bolts.
car fired ran fine. Got warm, quit on the road.
Did i burn out coil due to bad ground?
Ir is there another issue?
Battery cranks strong.
fuel squirts
Butterflys open.
if i let the car sit for an hour, it would start and run for a short while.
I will update in morning, when I go get it.

Suggestions!

Thanks

The coil has no physical ground on it per se; the mounting is only a physical mount; no ground on/to the coil body. Hard to say if it was damaged by the looseness or not...is it dented or punctured where it was loose?

- How is the grounding on the ECU to the body? Super clean or not?
- Check all wires in and around the ignition system
- Put in a new ballast resistor (cheap and easy to do)

Take a voltmeter with you.

There's "been talk" that evidently SOME modern coils ---that is OIL FILLED coils--- must be mounted a certain way to prevent the internal core from being exposed.

This is an issue, by the way, that "was not" back in the day. "Back in" you had Ferds which routinely mounted the coil horizontally. You had things like inline sixes which mounted the coils with terminals pointing downwards

Got to car where it ditched me last night. Fired right up. Still towed it home. Fired up again when i got it here. Remounted coil to vertical, replaced ballast resistor, that looked USED.
Took a few quick laps ran beautiffuly. Running in drive way now, during pizza break. Gonna run a few more laps after fully warmed up.

Forgot to mention, IF it's the coil that quits when hot,,,,,,,thisis typical failure mode of a coil

After lunch run. No issues, runs great. Turn it off, fires right back up.

I do have my back up coil, and extra orange box in the trunk with tools. Just in case.

So far $5.00 part cost me a taxi and tow.

Which is why everyone here should carry that $5 spare with them, and a screwdriver to change it! Got my fingers crossed that you are now good to go. (Reminds me.... I need to get one for the 'nnew' car!)

-
Back