73 Swinger 440 project

-

cletus

Cooter's Apprentice
Reaction score
Why, oh why, did I ever decide to stuff a 440 into a Dart on a limited budget???

Oh yeah, because it will be BAD ***!!

Attachments

• 440dartbefore1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 819
  • 440dartroof.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 440dartpasssidebody.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 823
  • 440dartmileshelping.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 774
  • 440dartenginebay2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 778
  • 440dartenginebay.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 795
  • 440dartbefore.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 849
The first picture is not my car, but the only picture I could find of one trimmed out the same with the same color scheme. Mine was pretty rough when I got it for free with a blown up slant 6.

The second picture is when I first dropped the 440 in. '78 model RV engine. After sitting for awhile after I dropped it in, it started making bad internal noises, which I believe was from the lifters.

I tore it down, sent the pertinents to my cousin at the machine shop, and got a rebuild kit coming from Summit with 30 over forged Speed Pro pistons, moly rings, high volume oil pump, Comp Cams timing set, MP cam kit 241/485/108. I had already been using a pair of '65 383 heads with closed chambers. Had hardened seats installed for slightly larger exhaust, valves are now 208/174. Had the bottom end internally balanced. Rebuilt the carb. Added Summit distributor, new plugs, Taylor 8.2mm wires, MSD Blaster 2 coil. New fuel tank, and now am working on new fuel line in 1/2". Cam break-in is done, car has gone up and down the road a few times without glass in it. :D

Oh yeah, I think I paid $70 for the used Torker intake on ebay.

I have new window seals for front and back glass and I am now repairing the rust holes so I can put them back in, I am also in the process of dying and painting all the interior parts black. I added bucket seats out of about a '95 ford explorer and a B&M Z-gate shifter around which I intend to build a custom console, and I am going to add a new carpet kit when funds allow.

I got a 8 3/4 housing for cheap that came out of probably a E body by looking at the length, I had the perches narrowed for the Dart and I am running late model mustang wheels for the deep backspacing on the back and using wheel spacers with them on the front.

When funds allow I will be looking at Schumacher headers and about a 2500 stall converter.

Doing body work a little here and there when time allows. This has been going on way too long, it seems to keep getting harder to find time for it, I have had 2 kids since the project started. I am hoping to have the car road worthy and driving on a regular basis this summer.

Attachments

• 440goingbackin.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 797
  • 440newpic.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 786
  • 440newpic2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 793
New fuel tank and line installed. Next items on to-do list:
finish metal / filler work around windshield and rear window seals and install glass
re-wire exterior lighting
renew tabs
drive an ugly unfinished 440 Dart to work.
with the work on the car slowed to a crawl it may take me a couple months to get to that last step, but I am slowly making progress.

Thinking about cutting access holes in the cowl vent (cutting out some of the runners?) so I can access the cavity under it to remove all the rust and pine needles, paint rust treatment it it, and fill the hole in, probably with fiberglass, to smooth out the look. Anyone done this? I'm not worried about losing the fresh air venting, I can roll windows down. Thoughts???

I am already planning on leaving off the vinyl top and the trim around it, the side molding and the rocker trim, and shaving the corner lights. The fuel filler is already shaved with the tube shortened into the trunk.

Yeah badass thats what I wanted todo

From seeing your signature, it sounds like your combo wouldn't be anything to shake a stick at either.

I have been told a number of times the big block swap would be a pain in the nether regions, and it has been with the limited budget. If someone has deep pockets and access to the tools to do a swap / rebuild I don't think it would be that tough.

:supz:

Update:

A little body work here and there. Top half of the driver side quarter and B pillar are almost straight. Cleaning up the window gasket surfaces to get ready to put the glass back in. Took her around the block the other night and did a couple burnouts. Engine is strong, timing is almost right.

I have been eyeballing the work AbodyBomber is doing on his scamp, and I think I will be going with flat black for body color, and using the same hammerite silver metalic on the bumpers. I don't know yet if I will put a hood scoop on it, it's tempting.

I will try to post some pics here in the next week.

Shaved the fuel filler hole and moved the filler neck into the trunk, and when I got into it I found evidence of collision repair in the driver side quarter, evidence of stud welding around the wheel lip and up to 1/4 inch of filler in some places.

My mantra has become "it was free, it was free, it was free." If I don't keep telling myself that I get frustrated.

MSD 6A installed, car starts easier and idles better. Making a supply run to the parts store next week for more rust treatment and some odds and ends, then I will be working on nothing but the windshield and back window mounting surfaces until the windows are installed.

What exhaust manifolds are you using to fit in the engine bay?

I built a custom manifold for the driver side out of 1/2" plate steel and some exhaust pipe, had a friend weld it up for me.

I don't like it, as soon as I have some spare cash I will be buying the Schumacher Tri-Y's.

Booo---I see this thing in the classifieds now...I guess it is what it is.

Yep. If nobody is interested for the kind of money I'm looking for I will store it until I have the time to finish it, but at the rate it's going it probably will be a good long time.

Long overdue update:

Welp - looks like there weren't any real interested buyers out there, had two guys look at the thing, one said too much work, the other offered me $1500 and I told him to pack sand. Going to start working on it again. I recently bought a billet dizzy with adjustable mech. advance that should help with the tuning issues I have had. I will be dropping that in in the next couple weeks, and should be back to work on it trying to get glass reinstalled sometime after the 4th.

New dizzy is in. The difference is like night and day, and with the engine running how it should FINALLY, I feel like a kid on Christmas Day. Now when I have a free minute I will be working on getting glass back in it.

Comin along good, Cletus. I am jealous.

persevere!!!! wasn't that what that indian told Jose Wales????? wait a minute this thread might get into the stars and bars flag thing!!!!
I know work on these old cars can get frustrating. family, work, and all of life's detours!? but you got it running, driving pretty decent right? keep going man! drive it enough to decide if it is what you want, and if so, KEEP going!!!!!

I will keep going as long as I can, at this point I fully intend to make it a driver. Progress will be SLOW, but I will do what I can here and there.

Yeah, barbee6043, that discussion could go South pretty quick. (Like how I worked that in there?) I would rather stay away from politics on a build thread.

:glasses7:

Status update:

Car is back in the garage. Attempting to correct a pulley alignment issue that I have had as long as I have had the engine, looks like someone mismatched pulleys. That then cobble together a working set of power steering brackets to mount the pump I got from dukeboy318 (thanks brotha!) Then see if I can fix the exhaust leak without forking over a gazillion bucks for a set of headers. Then back to working on cleaning up the window gasket surfaces so I can get some glass back in it.

-
Back