73 swinger pro touring

-
805, do you have a picture of the 255 tires in the front from the outside view. I was thinking of 245 on my Barracuda. Just wanted to see how much the 255 stuck out of the fender.

805, do you have a picture of the 255 tires in the front from the outside view. I was thinking of 245 on my Barracuda. Just wanted to see how much the 255 stuck out of the fender.

no i was not able to get a pic of how much it stuck out, but it was about 1/2" past the fender lip (outside). i dont think the 245 is really any smaller section width( that i saw) just tread width. but i still think 5.25 or so would be where you need to be. another member is ordering wheels @ 5.5" so once he gets them on and measured up it will tell alot.

So, on a 70 Dart, it looks like I should be able to run an 18"x8" wheel with a 255/45/18's in the back without moving anything.
I already have Hotchkis springs and a HemiDenny K-Frame for the suspension. I really did not want to MiniTub of even spring offset kit it, so this may work.

So, on a 70 Dart, it looks like I should be able to run an 18"x8" wheel with a 255/45/18's in the back without moving anything.
I already have Hotchkis springs and a HemiDenny K-Frame for the suspension. I really did not want to MiniTub of even spring offset kit it, so this may work.

as i said in another post i have fender trim and if i remove that or smooth it down to the screw heads it would gain another 3/8" or so... this is on top of the clearance already there...

I'll be interested to hear what the experts say but my hunch is that a 255 is too meaty for a 7" wide wheel where handling is a priority. You'll end up with a lot of deflection....

Performance wise (astraight line) , you really don't want to go much past 2" wider than the rim, less for handling.

As far as being able to do it. We run 12.50's on a 6" rim on the dually's all the time.

Also, until you play with the wheel offsets/fender clearance, I think you'll run into problems at both ends.

IIRC, my 245s are really close to the leaf springs in the rear, would probably rub the fenders in the front.

As far as rear tires, with an offset hanger kit a 10.5" section width will fit so long as you have proper backspacing.

-
Back